My New 10/22 2nd Amendment Model

Includes .44 & 10/22 Carbines; Mini-14, 30 & 6.8; Model 96 & 99/44 Deerfields; M77s; PC 4s & 9s; AC-556; MP9; XGI.
Watertender

My New 10/22 2nd Amendment Model

Post by Watertender »

I picked up a 10/22 2nd Amendment Model.... It came with a cheesy synthetic stock with a red eagle on the pistol grip & 2 cheek pieces.... I bought it for the action & 16" barrel, it also came with an aluminum 2nd Amendment support sign... I put the action in an Altamont walnut straight grip stock which makes a beautiful handing well balanced carbine..... That is where the good part ends.... The action sounds like a zipper when you pull the bolt handle and slides back into battery with another noise like an old truck transmission going into gear.... I am going to polish the innards on it & install a BX trigger..... I can make it into a decent piece but the action from the factory in that shape does not speak well of Ruger
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
JAYDAWG

Re: My New 10/22 2nd Amendment Model

Post by JAYDAWG »

WT,
I am anxious to here if you find anything obvious when you get it apart. Please post if you do.
Try the KIDD drop in trigger it costs more ($106 i think) but I like it better than the BX.
This advise to you is free, no need to send any of yer marbles.... :)

Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I have to work Easter so will take it apart Monday probably. Have a new BX trigger so that is what is going in it. Jay you are welcome to some of my marbles... I will share... If the action needs it I have fine files to smooth it up. Have done a lot of hand fitting of parts thru the years on many types of equipment. This should be no problem.. Will let you know if there is anything out of the ordinary.... Have a good Easter!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

WT,
I enjoyed the photos you sent me of the 10-22 with some shiny steel blades to the side.
You should post one up here.
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Hey WT,
How about some pics of this???
And what did you find?
Curious,
JAY
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

JAYDAWG wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:48 pm Hey WT,
How about some pics of this???
And what did you find?
Curious,
JAY
Jay I can't figure how to post pics. I am semi literate on the computer... However I ended up polishing the bolt and reciever with an extra fine sanding sponge. They conform to the contours of what you are smoothing up very nicely. With the Altamont straight stock, 16.125" barrel & BX trigger it's a nice handling package. It goes well with the 2 10/22 International's I have... One of those is the TALO blued version with the fish scale pattern stock. The other is a stainless that I made up with a K-10/22 action & barrel I bought on sale. I put BX triggers in both of those too. None of my Rugers are rare or collectible but they suit my needs well. I am more of an owner than true collector. My 1st 10/22 was $59 plus tax from Monkey Ward in the mid 1970's Since then I have accumulated a few more!
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I am building another 10/22 with a 16.5" stainless barrel. Will put a BX trigger in that one as well. Am debating making a short 10/22 International or a straight gripped stock.... When I gather all of the parts I will make a decision.... Unless I build one of each.... That may happen as well!
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

WT,
I keep telling you get the KIDD drop in trigger ($106). Short of buying an entire Volquartsen assembly for $250+
it is the best bang for the buck.
It makes that BX feel like a sponge.

Cheers,
JAYDAWG
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

JAYDAWG wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:09 pm WT,
I keep telling you get the KIDD drop in trigger ($106). Short of buying an entire Volquartsen assembly for $250+
it is the best bang for the buck.
It makes that BX feel like a sponge.

Cheers,
JAYDAWG
Jay I already have a BX trigger to use on this project. I may try a KIDD trigger on another I build in the future. Making up something that is yours to suit a particular purpose is very satisfying. Maybe some of my creations might not be something that others might like. Some of them are made up for friends that provide me with a reciever. The ones with the 16" barrel and straight grip stock are great. As I said I am contemplating a short 10/22 International to see how it feels. That one will get a KIDD trigger.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

"Making up something that is yours to suit a particular purpose is very satisfying. Maybe some of my creations might not be something that others might like."

I know exactly what you mean pal.....I'm up to just about thirty 10-22's.
Some of my friends think I'm short a few marbles.....I'm sure you understand :P

Cheers,
JAY