ALASKA

Includes .44 & 10/22 Carbines; Mini-14, 30 & 6.8; Model 96 & 99/44 Deerfields; M77s; PC 4s & 9s; AC-556; MP9; XGI.
JAYDAWG

ALASKA

Post by JAYDAWG »

Hello team ROCS.....thought I would share my adventure from last week.
As some of you know I own a NAPA auto parts store, and last Tuesday I flew up to Anchorage AK for an owners meeting/retreat.
The first two days we took a long range precision rifle course put on by Sniper's Hide. This is owned by Frank Galli a retired marine sniper and the instructor for Mile high out of Denver. Check him out on youtube or his website snipershide.com
Frank worked with RUGER and helped develop the RPR. His business partner is Marc Taylor whom he served with on the same sniper team.

Since I have no long range RPR type guns, I took my RUGER American 556 that I use for pararie dogs in Montana and 3 boxes of Hornaday V-Max poly tipped 55gr ammo. Half way through the 2nd day they had me hitting the 800 yard target. That's as far as my ammo would go....
They said the gun would go farther if I was shooting a different heavier round. The guys on both sides of me on the range both had the RPR in 6.5 Creedmore and both were hitting the 16 inch 1000 yard target with ease. Both guys were beginner shooters, and in fact both hit a clay pigeon at 1000!!
The instructors set me up a 5 inch wide by 9 inch tall steel target at 520 yards and with my last 25 rounds I peeled all the paint off of it!!
I am a very amature shooter and have only shot in the gravel pit up on the hill above town and some hunting. This was my first time on a range and with any instruction, so the fact I could be whacking 520 yards at will was pretty cool for me.
An awesome experience for me to get world class instruction on my varmint rifle. To much fun.
The next two days we went fishing.
Some pics attached.
Cheers,
JAY

P.S.
No Charlie, I did not keep any of the Halibut :D
Attachments
IMG_8196.JPG
SAM_0695.JPG
SAM_0699.JPG
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
flattop44

Re: ALASKA

Post by flattop44 »

That sounds like great shooting to me too. Looks like a great trip and fun time.
Bill
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Nice looking fish there Jay... My neighbor works at a NAPA store and I get my car stuff thru him. Sounds like you had a great time in Alaska. On a bright note both of my neighbors 18 year old sons graduated from trade school in automotive technology. They had a 99% average so I set them both up with complete tool sets to start them out. The only string is that they do the same for some kid that wants to learn a trade when they are able to help the kid out. Pay it forward...
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

What a great experience! Congratulations, Jay. I know you work hard so it's important to also play hard.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

That sounds like a great trip and some real good shooting. The only thing I wouldn't like is the cold, but I think the shooting would warm me up.

I spent some 40 years in the auto parts business and I am sure you know you are with the best. NAPA really knows how to take care of their jobbers.

O M CRAZY
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

Hey Jay. I have traveled to Alaska with buddies on fishing trips. It is a great state to experience if you are a true outdoors man.
That Halibut fish is excellent table fare! I shipped home over 50# of filets and never grew tired of the mild almost sweet flavor. Do not forget the .256 Win. Mag. ammo that I sent you for your Hawkeve. I will be interested in a range report. Be sure to wear good hearing protection. We purchase all our lubricants from NAPA for our farm equipment, good stuff. Brass Frame/Lee E
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Thanks guys,.
It was a good time for sure!
WT, what a great thing you did for those two kids.
The automotive aftermarket is in dire straits right now trying to hire qualified techs.
I guarantee every repair shop in the country would hire a good tech right now.

OM,
You speak highly of NAPA, did you own stores?
This is my 34th year selling parts, I worked for my parents for
25 years and 9 years ago NAPA loaned me the money to buy them out.
They do give me the tools to succeed.

Lee,
I left all the fish with the others, I catch more than enough Halibut, Ling Cod & Salmon here at home for my wife and I plus all the neighbors.....
It might be some time before I get to shoot the Hawkeye. Weekends are booked through mid September already :shock:
Hopefully you are using NAPA filters with those lubricants ;) !!

Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Jay,

No I did not own a store. I worked for an independent distributor and NAPA and American Parts were my major competition. If you are following their, NAPA's, program you are on the right track to success! In all my years in the business I have never seen an NAPA store go under.

O M CRAZY
aka/Vince
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Jay I have set up many wanting to learn a trade over the last 10 years or so. I have had a few that have not stuck to it but the majority have been successful. Auto repair shops are not the only ones looking for qualified people. All skilled trades are lacking in qualified people. Lately I have seen more "Mill-Wrongs" than Millwrights... I have crossed trades many times to do a job properly. As far as automotive I do not do my own work but have a friend with a shop that does my repairs. He has a complete shop with a hoist and tools. NAPA is a good outfit. You are hooked up with a decent organization.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

Woow it sounds like you had a great trip Jay, Hope we can get together some day and put some down range. Just hard to find a safe place to do long range around here. Maybe we can get together and put some down range someday.
Charlie1022