Model 96 Carbine 44 Rem Mag

Includes .44 & 10/22 Carbines; Mini-14, 30 & 6.8; Model 96 & 99/44 Deerfields; M77s; PC 4s & 9s; AC-556; MP9; XGI.
Rugerologist

Model 96 Carbine 44 Rem Mag

Post by Rugerologist »

Shown here is a Ruger Model 96 Carbine chambered in 44 Remington Magnum. This gun is from 1997 and I've had it for 18 years. It was purchased with the intention of being used but I never did. I even have 3 extra mags with it but sadly no box. I've never even worked the lever on this rifle and it is 100%. The case hardened lever is beautiful but hard to photograph. I always liked these and consider them oddballs being the only lever guns Ruger offered. You don't see a lot of them but they can be found in .17 HMR, .22 LR, .22 WMR, and 44 Mag. I feel that they are underappreciated and undervalued in the price guides. Anyway, here's something a little different.
Attachments
IMG-2423.JPG
IMG-2422.JPG
IMG-2421.JPG
IMG-2420.JPG
IMG-2419.JPG
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Watertender

Re: Model 96 Carbine 44 Rem Mag

Post by Watertender »

Chuck that is a thing of beauty. Last time I went to see a Ruger Lever Action my car got a 168 mile ride on a towtruck hook. My 96/22 will always be special because of that ride. Not many can say their rifle was delivered by a towtruck!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I forgot about that whole ordeal! You should write about that one next time.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Nice 96. I bought and sold a few and did not keep one....sure wish now that I had. The short throw lever is really quick. The .44s seem to be escalating in value if you watch the on-line auctions.
Bill
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

Chuck, I couldn't agree more with you in that that they are undervalued in most (blue books). As Bill states they continually go up in price or have held in the last few years as many other rifles have dropped after the election. I've purchased one of each over the years and wish I had been more selective in my wood grain. Many times I've considered selling them for funds to purchase another revolver but they still stand tall in the safe along with the other rifles that are simply nice to have. I have no story even close to compare to Carls acquisition :lol: :lol: !!

Produced 1996 - 2009
Variants 96/17 (.17 HMR)
96/22 (.22 LR)
96/22M (.22 WMR)
96/44 (.44 Mag)
Specifications
Mass 5.25 lb
Length 37.25 in
Barrel length 18.5 in
Cartridge .17 HMR, .22 LR, .22 Magnum, .44 Magnum
Action Short-Throw Lever-action
Feed system Rotary magazine:
10-rounds (.22 LR)
9-rounds (.17 HMR & .22 Mag)
4-rounds (.44 Mag)[2]
Box magazine:
25-rounds (.22 LR)
Sights Gold bead front, folding leaf rear
Attachments
IMG_0849(Edited).jpg
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Really nice model 96s ya'll have there. Winchester, Henry and Marlin gets the praise for the lever actions but Ruger should get it's due credit. They didn't flood the market like the others have that makes them more special in my opinion.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

67stingray wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:22 pm Really nice model 96s ya'll have there. Winchester, Henry and Marlin gets the praise for the lever actions but Ruger should get it's due credit. They didn't flood the market like the others have that makes them more special in my opinion.
Bennett
I have lever actions from all the afore mentioned makers but only ONE Ruger lever action rifle which is the 96/22.

I am going to name it the "Yosemite Sam Special" The trip to get it was a trip...
"Razzlefrackin' Fritfroppin' Fring-Frang Frockledee-Frung Goldurn Frumpafryin' POOP"!!
That covers the trip home.... I think Bill or Chuck might have to translate Sam's comments though unless you would care to try Bennett.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Gene, that's a really nice collection by itself and could even be a display! Those are something to be proud of especially the 96/22M which is really pretty. I went to a local show yesterday and walked the entire floor which wasn't that hard. Still, not a single Model 96 in the building.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Coogs

Post by Coogs »

Watertender.........I remember that trip................
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Coogs wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:16 pm Watertender.........I remember that trip................
We looked a pair in the Watertender-mobile! The trip from your shop and back could have been made faster in a covered wagon with the way we were driving. It was still a great day and a pleasure meeting you inspite of the ride home.