XGI

Includes .44 & 10/22 Carbines; Mini-14, 30 & 6.8; Model 96 & 99/44 Deerfields; M77s; PC 4s & 9s; AC-556; MP9; XGI.
Rugerologist

Re: XGI

Post by Rugerologist »

Lastly for now, the follow-up letter.
Attachments
Scan2019-12-12_160453.jpg
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I must give credit to Don for this entire thread. I believe that the other XGI information that I posted came from him originally as well.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

There is also the old story of WBR walking into the store of an old-time friend in Tucson, where he found three (or was it five?) XGI rifles right there for sale on the rack. Bill got pretty angry and gathered up all of them and unceremoniously carried the armful out to his car and dumped them in the backseat! One version had him pointing his finger in his friend's face and telling him in no uncertain terms to call him immediately if he ever heard of any others that got out of the factory.
(Murphy's is still there?)

-So I believe that regardless of internal memos and distributor notifications, some got shipped to a distributor and sold to a shop or two through regular channels. I suspect whoever has an example in any state, is not talking!
:o It is a Right, NOT a permit.
Political Correctness = Political Submission :oops:
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Yeah? I know of one that went to a distributor in California, courtesy of Tom Ruger, along with the letter that gave it to them.
Chet15
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

Here's a youtube video of shooting an XGI in an indoor range.
Not a lot of detail nor technical info, or the ammo used... too bad on a rifle so incredibly rare :roll: Looks like American Eagle? :?: At least he didn't stick some comblock krap in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdjgiFQ0Gkc

KYGUNS - Bardstown KY. They say they don't believe in "safe queens", but it is Not For Sale. ;)
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

This is great, thanks much for sharing it with us. Sure wish they would have a go at making them again.
Bill
chet15

Post by chet15 »

With Ruger's added R&D technology since the original XGI, not sure why they can't try one again.
Chet15
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

I had the same thoughts. Ruger's Engineering in the 21st century ought to be able to solve some of the problems from the early '80s... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'd love to see a re-visited Mini-6.8 Rem - GREAT cartridge!

Or at least an XGI (MINI-243?) in the overlooked-but-capable 243 Winchester! 8-)

They could possibly be the newest "America's Deer Rifle"! 8-)