Chief AJ White Barn limited Edition

Includes .44 & 10/22 Carbines; Mini-14, 30 & 6.8; Model 96 & 99/44 Deerfields; M77s; PC 4s & 9s; AC-556; MP9; XGI.
T.A. Workman

Chief AJ White Barn limited Edition

Post by T.A. Workman »

Gentlemen,
Below are pictures & info on a rifle I purchased in October of this year. After receiving the rifle I sent a PM to Chuck requesting any and all info that he and John could provide. I will let Chuck tell you about the origin of these rifles as best as can be documented.

Here's what I did know about the base rifle,
In 1997 stock maker Fajen did a special run of less than 700 Hi-Combed Tu-Tone brown laminated Silhouette Target stocks for a Ruger new special distributor's model 10/22 T-TS rifle.
The stock featured the word "RUGER" in large dark letters etched into the butt stock recess. They featured Ruger's new 18" Hammer Forged Spiral Finish Target Barrel, with a known (RENE) serial number range of #246-86224 to #246-86729 & #248-47836 to #248-71627. These rifles are very scarce and sell in the $750.00 to 1K range N.I.B.

My rifles features,
Serial #246-86618
Fajen Hi-Combed, Tu-Tone Brown laminated Silhouette stock with "RUGER" in large letters etched into the stocks recess with "White Barn Limited Edition" etched below. Ruger 18" Hammer Forged Spiral Finished .920 Target barrel with the Chief AJ Logo 1 of 22 on it, the barrel was Hand Lapped and Polished.Trigger group tricked out with trigger stop, automatic bolt release, custom mag release, polished jeweled bolt and a trigger pull of a little less than 2 lbs. It came with a Leupold BR-36X-D Target Scope and a heavy duty airline approved molded aluminum case. Case with rifle in it weighs 22 lbs. ;)
The whole package is like new.
Terry

NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
67stingray

Re: Chief AJ White Barn limited Edition

Post by 67stingray »

Great find, beautiful rifle and I bet it's accurate, thanks for sharing.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

Great find! I bought 2 of the T-TS models when they came out back in 1997 but had not seen this model that Chief AJ made up special. Thanks for sharing with us.
Charlie1022
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

This is a cool rifle that came out of a side project between Chief AJ and his friend Dean Rothermel and I really like it. Both guys liked to tinker with guns. Chief was getting so busy with the custom shop that he couldn't keep up. He and Dean sort of partnered for a while. Dean would do the "fine-tune" job largely himself in his own shop called The White Barn sometimes with the Chief's oversight and most often not. Most of the barrels The Chief would hand lap and put his stamp on but not all. It's impossible to say if Chief had his hands on this rifle or not at this point but he may have. Or, Dean may have done it all himself. There is some more to this story that I may share in time but for now, that's the gist. If it doesn't have any functionality problems, it ought to be a great shooting rifle. I probably wouldn't ever shoot that one because it's so nice and 1 of 22. I have shot some of my AJ guns though :D .
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

Chuck,
Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge on John and this rifle in particular. After our PM's back and forth on this rifle, I wanted you to comment on it's origin & history. My grandfather used to say, "If you want to know something talk to the horse's head not his ass" ;). I have decided not to shoot this rifle and to keep it "Mint" like my Hathcock rifle, I have plenty of other rifles to shoot.

Forgot to add this link from the Ruger Forum a few years back,,
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 2&t=232471

Glad you and I did not have a bidding war!! :mrgreen: In a nut shell I bought the scope and the rifle and case were free, 8-) .

Best,
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

According to John, Dean liked to do runs of white barn 10/22's of only 22 because he loved the caliber and association with the number. They probably ordered 22 overstocks that Midway offered then tuned em up from there. I say probably on these because John just can't be sure and mentioned that his age may be hindering our investigation. Dean did some unknown number of White Barn guns and we don't believe there to be any printed material about this edition. I've spoken with his wife personally and she doesn't have any of his records to go through. Chief said that some of White Barn guns Dean showed him after they were already done and sold yet they had his logo on them! Yes, unfortunately, there were a few chapters and parts of Johns life that we left out for either his own personal reasons or to keep from saying something negative. I've also learned about some things that didn't make it in the book because John never mentioned them!
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Terry, while there we went through some paperwork and other items. I ended up with some more documentation and even photos of guns that before the weekend I didn't know existed and certainly didn't make the book. Chief had forgotten about them. I read your PM but sadly not until I had returned. In my paperwork was this double-sided page that I thought would give you some more info on your White Barn. Sadly, it's the only copy that we have at this time. I can send you an autographed "bubblegum card" if you don't already have one and would be glad to copy this leaflet if that helps you.
Attachments
Scan2020-01-20_123157.jpg
Scan2020-01-20_123352.jpg
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

Chuck,
Thank you very much, I'll send a PM with my info.
Hope you guy's had a great time!
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

This one is also out there FYI although the number produced is not accurate. Probably 22 if even that many.
Attachments
Scan2020-01-20_142217.jpg
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Chuck, When I looked at this for the first time (just now) I thought, chop the stock off just behind the pistol grip and shorten the forearm, and I see the makings of a Ruger Charger stock.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron