4 digit Finger Groove Sporter 10-22

Includes .44 & 10/22 Carbines; Mini-14, 30 & 6.8; Model 96 & 99/44 Deerfields; M77s; PC 4s & 9s; AC-556; MP9; XGI.
JAYDAWG

4 digit Finger Groove Sporter 10-22

Post by JAYDAWG »

The latest addition to the family.
The receiver is a four digit meaning 1964 production and the sporter was not shipped until Dec 1965 and having a beginning serial # of 43908 according to Workman's book.
He believed that lower numbered guns were from some owners wishing to upgrade their carbine by buying a sporter stock from the factory thus explaining any SP stocks with a serial number lower than 43908. I sent for a letter anyway :roll:

QUESTION.... Does anyone have a catalog or price list showing the sporter stock by it's self available from the factory?
Workman states the SP gun was $10 more than the carbine.

Anyways, a few pics. The stock is much lighter than other 10-22's I have from the same era.

All thoughts and comments are expected!!

Cheers,
JAY
Attachments
SAM_1224.JPG
SAM_1225.JPG
SAM_1226.JPG
SAM_1227.JPG
SAM_1228.JPG
Last edited by JAYDAWG on Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
67stingray

Re: Finger Groove Sporter 10-22

Post by 67stingray »

Great find Jay, beautiful addition to your stable. The Fingergroove Sporter is mine and probably most of our the favorite stock for the 10/22. Nice fiddleback character on the stock. Here's a pic from a 1967 Catalog that shows the prices at $10 more for the Sporter and $20 more for the International. I doubt that the individual stocks were offered, I imagine you would have to know somebody to get one. The problem being is dating the stocks, you could have something special or possibly the stock was added later. I would get a letter from Ruger on it.
Bennett
Attachments
20200523_145349.jpg
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

Nice!
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

Nice find Jay! Be interesting to see what the factory records indicate how it left the factory. That stock is much lighter in color that anything I have seen before. Have you pulled the actions to check for any special markings in the stock? That is why we keep looking to find something new or different.
Charlie1022
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Benett,
Thanks! That is cool to see.
I wanted letters on a couple other guns, so I added this one to the list. I just sent the request in last week, so it might be a while.

Charlie,
It sure looks like a Ruger/ S.E. Overton stock to me with the pistol grip cap and front and rear sling swivels matching the book and my other finger groove sporter.
Of course I took it apart :shock: :lol:
The hammer, sear & disconnect have been replaced giving it a nice 3lb trigger, but other than that it's all period correct.
A couple more pics.

Cheers,
JAY
Attachments
SAM_1235.JPG
SAM_1237.JPG
SAM_1238.JPG
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

JAYDAWG that is a thing of beauty. The 10/22 is probably the best 22 rifle made. I put one together with an Altamont straight grip stock, 16 inch compact barrel and BX trigger that is a joy to handle.
thumbnail_Picture0123192334_1 (2).jpg
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Thanks WT.....
I was startin' to worry. You had not posted on my threads in awhile, BUT I checked the obituaries........
and didn't see your name!!!!!

That altamont stock you have is one of my favorites. My birthday is coming up.... 8-)
Or, since you are the only one I know who is older than Charlie, maybe you should just
leave it to me in your will :lol:

Take care my friend,
AND......
CHEERS,
JAYDAWG
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

The FG stocked 10 22 should never have been taken out of the catalog, IMHO. I recall purchasing one in 1965. It's stock was very light in color, and to me, was far more appealing than the rather mundane standard carbine. Yours is a beauty!
blowback

Post by blowback »

JAYDAWG wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:10 pm The latest addition to the family.
The receiver is a four digit meaning 1964 production and the sporter was not shipped until Dec 1965 and having a beginning serial # of 43908 according to Workman's book.
He believed that lower numbered guns were from some owners wishing to upgrade their carbine by buying a sporter stock from the factory thus explaining any SP stocks with a serial number lower than 43908. I sent for a letter anyway :roll:

QUESTION.... Does anyone have a catalog or price list showing the sporter stock by it's self available from the factory?
Workman states the SP gun was $10 more than the carbine.

Anyways, a few pics. The stock is much lighter than other 10-22's I have from the same era.

All thoughts and comments are expected!!

Cheers,
JAY
I have been looking for the front sling screw for a long time and I have bought several screws that I thought would work but didn't. Would you be kind enough to remove the screw from yours and post a picture of it so I will at least know what I am looking for.

Thanks
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Finally got my letter today & looky here......I own a 4 digit 10/22SP !!!! :D
This receiver laid around in the bin for a while.
Lucky to have it.

Cheers,
Jay
Attachments
SAM_1389.JPG