My Deer Rifle

No. 1 and No. 3
Rugerologist

My Deer Rifle

Post by Rugerologist »

Dad has always hunted Whitetail here in AR with a Remington Mtn. chambered in .280 during modern gun. I've always admired that rifle. I've been using 77/44 for a few years now since I've been hunting the creek which tends to be pretty thick. This year some things on the farm have changed. Some long lanes have been opened up as well as some additional field clearing and a 5-acre pond. I decided that I wanted a .280 like dad. Here's my new deer rifle found locally. It's the one on the bottom with the optic. Ruger No. 1 .280 Rem.
Accompanied by:
Middle .22-250.
Top 375 H&H.

Side note....next weekend is not only my wedding anniversary but also the opening weekend for modern gun in my zone here. I'll see you guys in Tulsa though and hope to use the .280 the following weekend! :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG-0620.JPG
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
zebra55

Re: My Deer Rifle

Post by zebra55 »

now were talking! the only suitable rifle for any purpose is the Ruger no 1 :D
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

zebra55 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:24 pm now were talking! the only suitable rifle for any purpose is the Ruger no 1 :D
Agree, but these pest m77s keep sneaking in!
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

Very, very nice!
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Thank you. I do like the No. 1's a lot. Have accumulated a few but wouldn't say I've been seeking them out. The ones I have seem to have found me. I've got the .280 on at 200 meters. That Leupold isn't the best glass model though. I've noticed that their lower end optics reflect the price. Especially during those dawn/dusk transitions. I've never fired the .22-250 and probably won't. The 375 is a thumper. Bowling Pins are tough, I put a few hundred rounds of .556 into one but the 375 does tremendous damage quickly. My buddy and I put 5 rounds a piece through it over a day at the range and that was more than enough for me.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
ElNumeroUno

Post by ElNumeroUno »

Good looking 280. You are set; now for some pictures of your success!!
Great to meet you at Tulsa this weekend; outstanding display!
CLN
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
Ruger1nut

Post by Ruger1nut »

Lee I can think of no finer Number One for deer and more. Well maybe a 6mm or a 25-06. Well I am taking my non-prefix to Kansas next week...

Come to think of it maybe all Number Ones are my favorite Deer rifles. In the last 5 years I have shot more with my 475 Turnbull then all the rest though.

Safe hunting and best for now.

David
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I didn't hunt last weekend but I'm packed up and ready for Thanksgiving evening through Sunday Evening. Am taking my M77/44 and the No. 1 .280. I have no deer meat in the freezer. A friend of mine gave me a bag of jerkey this morning that I planned to take to the cabin......but it's already gone.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

BTW. It was a rough deer hunting weekend. I heard very few shots and normally with the modern gun season if the deer are moving it sounds like a war zone. Part of the reason that suppressors should be more easily obtainable and legal for use everywhere. One of the guys in camp shot a doe just to avoid a total camp skunking. I sat until dark on Friday. From sunup to sundown on Saturday, and sunup to 1 PM on Sunday and didn't see a deer. Sometimes it's like that but I still enjoy sitting here every chance I get.
Attachments
IMG-0827.JPG
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber