Ruger/Lyman Centennial grade I help

No. 1 and No. 3
TBigBuck

Ruger/Lyman Centennial grade I help

Post by TBigBuck »

Hello, New to this forum...I am in the process of obtaining a Ruger no. 1 in 45-70, Lyman Centennial Grade I (9x of 101 made), 28" barrel with the long repro scope, case (red interior), cleaning rod and small coin...the owner passed away and the family doesn't know where the accessories are...the key, bullet mold, reloading caliper, dies, box of unprimed cartridges (which I have found some of these), book, other info (was there any loading info for these in the kit?....I would like to ask if anyone who has the grade I version or possibly grade II, (green interior, I believe) knows what the part numbers of the bullet molds (how many cavity and weight), caliper (Ideal 310?), dies, etc...Could someone also, take a pic of the cert of a authenticity, I would like to see what they looked like for the Grade I,...unfortunately the family doesn't know what the owner did with all these things. Is the book different for grade I to grade II or just the cover of the book? thanks, should have possession of the rifle by next week, but I know that these things are missing. If anyone has any spare working accessories that fit the original case, let me know, thanks
zebra55

Re: Ruger/Lyman Centennial grade I help

Post by zebra55 »

here is my grade I pictures for you,
book is the same contents as grade II except is hard covered
scope has matched serial number
medallion is gold instead of bronze
4 die set instead of 3
display case is walnut instead of mahogany, also red felt instead of green
the rest of the accessories I believe were the same
I don't believe load data was given
Attachments
lyman 1.png
Ruger lyman grd 1.jpg
Last edited by zebra55 on Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TBigBuck

Post by TBigBuck »

Thanks for the pics, they are very nice looking rifles...So, your scope is numbered to the Ruger rifle serial number or the 'L-055' Lyman number? Where is the number placed on the scope for Grade I rifles? are the dies standard Lyman 45-70 dies, with the normal reloading press thread, just used in the hand loader? What are the part numbers for the bullet Mould? What weight do the cast? And the loading tool, any markins or numbers on it? Thanks, in advance
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

on grade 1's they didn't use the L numbers like the grade 2, mine is number 55 of 101, which they equated to each of the 100 years. So no 55 equates to 1932 which is part of the side panel engraving on the gun. This number is carried through the accessories. I took pictures for you of the them...
Attachments
image3[197].jpeg
image6[200].jpeg
image2[196].jpeg
image1[195].jpeg
image0[194].jpeg
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

I through in a picture of the key, my guess is they were alll the same

on each of the 4 die set is the
lyman centennial edition
cal 45-70 (scroll) 1932 expander

obviously each dies type would be sizer, etc...instead of expander. also the scroll is a simple single line
Attachments
image5[199].jpeg
image4[198].jpeg
TBigBuck

Post by TBigBuck »

Thanks, again for the info and pics.now the serial number on the scope makes more sense to me...I am a little disappointed to find out the accessories were also numbered to the rifle and the owners family can not locate them... I thought that the only number matching piece of my puzzle was the CofA, which I know I cant replace..oh well. Do you know what weight bullet mould is cast? And how many cavity is it? I think the rifle and scope and case alone, are worth more than I have into it, so that was my main thought behind this rifle purchase, knowing the kit was incomplete...plus I think it's a very nicely done rifle with the scope! Can't wait to see and shoot it! After all that's why I bought it. Maybe I'll post some pics when I get it
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

single cavity mold no idea of the grain weight, but the mold number is 457193, maybe that will tell you something...

as far as shooting goes I built a matched set of Creedmoor style rifles out of a couple of grade 2's that had lost their accessories. one is left as 45-70 the other is 45-90, both are fitted with lee shaver long range tang sights..
TBigBuck

Post by TBigBuck »

Thanks, and very cool on the 45-90! That mould number comes up around 405gr, depending on alloy type