non prefix kick

No. 1 and No. 3
zebra55

non prefix kick

Post by zebra55 »

In November I received a PM from "fishhuntnut" about another subject, but I used the opportunity to find out what No 1s he had for sale, since I had previously read his posting on selling off some items. Anyway, we made a deal on his Non Prefix 22-250.

Now I had thought about adding some of these rarities to my collection as I've read JD Clayton's book as well as perused Lee's website on collecting them, but up to this point just have not made the leap. Well it's like Eating potato chips, you can't just have one. So shortly after the "fishhuntnut" deal I found a matching gun in 243 caliber. Okay now I've got 2, that's enough.

Nope a Non Prefix first year AH came up on auction. Did I mention I have a thing for the AH configuration. I have 2 of the lipsey run, so I had to have that one also.

Now none of these rifles are as new in box and they all show signs of use, but no abuse, so I'm calling it having some character and would say they are in the 97 - 98% range. I'm not sure where this new kick will end up, but I know I would like to get another. Thinking of an AB configuration, probably in 308 since, per Lee's article, they are the most common.

Here are a few pictures of the trio...
Attachments
IMG_0680.JPG
Last edited by zebra55 on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gewehrfreund

Re: non prefix kick

Post by gewehrfreund »

Very nice. Now all you need is vertically split rings to go with each of them! :)
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

gewehrfreund wrote:Very nice. Now all you need is vertically split rings to go with each of them! :)
So according to the Clayton book the vertical split rings were replaced with horizontal rings in late 1967.

Is this still the correct information?
If so, we're probably talking like the first 1000 serial numbers?
Does Ruger know what rings were supplied by the serial number?

Since my earliest number is 1677, I would assume it did not have vertical rings.
ElNumeroUno

Post by ElNumeroUno »

I'm of the opinion that vertical rings went out in about September of 1968.
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

I know nothing about the #1s, but I do like the wood on the center rifle.

O M CRAZY
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

Be carefull Vince. As has been stated, it is catching!! Brass Frame/Lee E
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

ElNumeroUno wrote:I'm of the opinion that vertical rings went out in about September of 1968.
Thanks for the comment Lee, based on your expert opinion, I ended up finding a set for the 1677 rifle. Strange enough, it was from the same guy I bought the gun from...Hmmmm
rowdy1972

Post by rowdy1972 »

The splits were on the 6mm hes selling now. I talked to the seller, Thats were I found out about the splits.
Rowdy
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

Nice! :D
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
ruger66

Post by ruger66 »

Nice guns!