Woodside Repair Advice

Red Labels, Woodside, Gold Labels and Trap Guns
BW3

Woodside Repair Advice

Post by BW3 »

Hello,

I am new to the forum, but I have lurked around here off and on over the last few years. I ran across a Ruger #3 with great wood on a local forum and I missed the sale.
I had never heard of a number 3 at the time which led me to researching them, which led me to the Number 1 and this site. Since then, I visit occasionally and can spend hours trying to absorb information. I am a big Ruger fan. My favorites are the Red Label/Woodsides, Number 1, and Mark pistols.

I currently own a 12 gauge Woodside with 28" barrels and it is one of my favorites. When I ran across it in 98, I had to have it. Such a beautiful gun and at the time I had never heard of the Woodside. The local gunshop owner let me put it on layaway. Circassian Walnut and a gorgeous stock.

Fast forward to earlier this week. I ran across an "opportunity" to pick up another 12 gauge Woodside 26" barrels pretty cheap. Of course, there are a couple of reasons.

One is a cracked and repaired stock. Current owner says it's functionally repaired and he has hunted with it for 5 years since the repair, but it looks pretty bad. The other issue is with the firing pin. He said he had a gunsmith work on it and it started not striking the first barrel hard enough. Then he got a set of new pins from Ruger and it was good for about 3 years. Now, he has to remember to squirt oil on them each time before he hunts.

I know the stock on my personal Woodside developed a hairpin crack after a couple years and I sent it back to Ruger and they replaced it (not near as nice wood though). That is the only issue I have had with mine.

So, I called Ruger, and they said they don't support the Woodside with parts anymore. I asked if the Red Label used the same firing pin? She said she would check and called me back and said that they would take a look at it if I send it in. I was planning to send it to them to reblue the gun anyway and at the same time see what they could do with the firing pin.

So, do you guys think I have a chance of getting a stock made and the firing pin issue resolved?

Is there someone you would recommend for the stock? I know there are folks out there that do custom stocks, but I am wondering if the Woodside is a bit more difficult do to the unusual shape.

How about a gunsmith for the firing pin issue? Maybe someone that could machine new pins if necessary?

Is the firing pin issue a recurring one with the Woodside?

I am starting to thing the cracked stock may be a typical Woodside issue.

I know you guys can point me in the right direction and would appreciate any advice you could give me. I would like to save this Woodside
3screws

Re: Woodside Repair Advice

Post by 3screws »

BW3

Replacing that Woodside stock will be very difficult.
Back in 2008, Ruger charged almost $500 to do the job at the factory.
Going outside the Factory will be very expensive.

For the Stock you might call the two in MO.:
Macon Gunstocks - 660-438-4697
or
Wenig Custom Gunstocks - 660-547-3334

As for the Firing Pin repair, not many work on Ruger O/U.

On of the best O/U gunsmith is Laib's in MN.
Call Pat Laib at 320-796-2686 and ask him if he works on them.

Good Luck
Geno
BW3

Re: Woodside Repair Advice

Post by BW3 »

Thank you for your response, Geno. Good information. I will reach out to them all.