More Variations in New Red Labels

Red Labels, Woodside, Gold Labels and Trap Guns
Ruger No.1

More Variations in New Red Labels

Post by Ruger No.1 »

With total production of only around 8,000 shotguns, it has been challenging to find enough samples to compare differences. The only ones I have been able to compare the different variations are the few I own; however, there seem to be several interesting variations in the two year period they were in production.
The most noticeable variation is an over 3/8” difference in the length of pull. The earlier samples have a 14 ¼” LOP (same as the “old” Red Labels). All of the later ones I’ve measured are 14 5/8”. The 2014 Catalog lists the LOP at 14 ½”. The forends on the earlier new Red Labels match the contour of the “old Red Labels as well. The later versions have a much more pronounced taper toward the front of the forend.
The other variations I’ve noticed are that the earliest new Red Labels don’t have the Ruger eagle on the bottom of the received. There are also three different styles of lettering used on the receivers as well. Also, most of the ones I’ve seen are rollmarked “Read Instruction Manual” just over the ejector on the right side of the barrels. This is the first time any type of “warning” was ever on a Ruger shotgun.
015.JPG
015.JPG (74.74 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
The above photo is of two new Red Labels. The difference in LOP is very noticeable as is the different markings under the receiver.
013.JPG
013.JPG (78.67 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
This photo shows the difference in the taper on the forends. The two on the right are slightly different, but both are very similar to earlier Red Labels.
006.JPG
006.JPG (83.61 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
This photo shows the third style of lettering. It appears to be made with a bit rather than roll marked.
016.JPG
016.JPG (97.41 KiB) Viewed 3394 times
I would really appreciate hearing from anyone else if they have noticed any additional variations.