Ruger Mold

All Memorabilia
Rugerologist

Ruger Mold

Post by Rugerologist »

So this is also something which I found extremely interesting. It came from Pine Tree Castings, is well built and heavier than it looks. What I have determined is that is a mold ultimately used to make a large Ruger bird. I have determined that chalk was used to line the entire inside of the mold on both pieces. Then, a maroon colored wax was poured into the inside of either part A or B. Parts A and B are labeled on the back of each. A has the eagle and B is a flat square. Once wax was poured the mold was bolted together on each side until dry. The small trays on the side of each mold would have caught the excess wax as you pressed the mold together. Then, what comes out is a large square of wax with the eagle pressed into it but when you look at it, it would be a reverse.

This is where I need someone more familiar with their operations to help me fill in the details. From what I understand they take these wax molds and coat them in something which allows them to bake it. The outcome of that would be another mold that molten metal would be poured into. Once this hardens you would have a large correct metal Ruger emblem. I'm interested in anything that anyone can tell me about it. What a former employee of theirs told me was that he thought it was a metal mold itself but there is no way this wooden thing could take molten metal. I find evidence of chalk and wax only. Anyway, enjoy.
Attachments
IMG-0851.JPG
IMG-0849.JPG
IMG-0850.JPG
IMG-0855.JPG
IMG-0853.JPG
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
flattop44

Re: Ruger Mold

Post by flattop44 »

That is really a good item. Very interesting.
Bill
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

this is used in what is called a "lost wax casting process" ...you can Google it for detailed information on the process...
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Zebra, thank you. I had some delusions of trying to make a metal casting from start to finish with this. After watching some videos of the process as you suggested and even though it has been done for a very long time, I think I'll just enjoy the mold itself. I've got enough irons in the fire!
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

I believe I have one of the large casting that may have come from this type of mold. I have used it in some of my displays. It came from the Prescott factory.

O M CRAZY
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

One of the things I have worked at and had training in was foundry work. They would make a wax copy in the mold you have then cover the wax image with a plaster casing to pour the metal in. This plaster casing would either be centrifuged or vaccuum suctioned or both to remove all the wax as the metal was forced into the mold. With the lost wax process there can be greater detail with less machining to finish the piece. Lost wax is also used for dental bridgework or to make tiny intricate pieces. The Single Six was one of the 1st lost wax investment castings done by Ruger & the Six Series DA revolvers had a stronger frame than the competition because of the casting process. You have a great item there
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

OM, this one would measure exactly 9" from the bottom point to the top hump on the eagles head. Would be really nice to find one that came from this mold!

Waterender, thank you so much for that very informative reply. To centrifuge and pump metal into the plaster casing seems like a very complicated ordeal. This process has been around for ages though. Having the experience that you have in this area is there a way that the average person could do this at home? Maybe a more primitive way?
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

To vaccuum cast at home would be hard. You could make a centrifuge from a powered potters wheel that could work. You will have to make a wax casting with a low melting temp wax. There has to be a riser for the wax to escape from & a sprue hole to pour into. The sprue would have to be in the center of the rotating wheel to pour into. The plaster mold has to be fairly strong to make sure it does not bulge or blow out. The plaster mold can be reinforced with wood or be poured in a wooden box to contain it. If you do it that way there will be molten metal being rapidly rotated that may fly out of the riser hole. Aluminum would be the best metal to use. You could use poly-resin in the wooden mold if you sprayed it with dry silicone spray to make the resin release from the mold. You could paint the poly-resin castings to look like metal or any other color you wanted. Safety is the biggest issue when working molten metal so maybe resin would work well. In any case that is a neat item to have
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Chuck,
Here is a picture of my casting. It measures 12 1/8" square. It may be larger than your mold?

O M CRAZY
Attachments
DSC02435.JPG
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

That's awesome! It's larger for sure. This one would produce a 10 3/4" square.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber