Chief AJ collectable 10/22's and items.

All Memorabilia
Rugerologist

Re: Chief AJ collectable 10/22's and items.

Post by Rugerologist »

Have the requests on an ongoing list! Glad to see some interest for sure.

Here's a photo that I didn't use. John told me that Don Jones is the person with beard and sunburn from riding his motorcycle from Denver to Phoenix for NRA and RCA meeting. He mentioned the other two are/were members of RCA but no names. Anyone know any of these guys?
Attachments
IMG_20171101_0001.jpg
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I've just learned that Jimmy Dillon is the gentleman on the far right.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Big Old Boy

Post by Big Old Boy »

Put me down for a hard back copy.
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Yes, sir.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
yelsnit

Post by yelsnit »

I have a 10/22 built by Chief AJ. I tracked the Chief down a few years ago and had him write a letter autinticating it. He said it is the rarest of his rifles because Ruger bought the design.
It stainless with a straight laminate wood stock. He said that Ruger hasn't used his stock design yet. It has Chief AJ's name on the barrel and stock. If anyone knows about these please let me know. The Chief said he only built 20 of them. It is the best shooting 22 rifle I have ever fired.
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Yelsnit, I've fired a few of my AJ rifles and you're right....they are tack drivers. I can say with certainty that Ruger never purchased any designs from him. He was, for a while, corresponding with them about a longer stock with a non-slip butt pad. This is discussed in Workmans The Ruger 10/22 on pg 230 and I even have some letters from Ruger to Chief on this subject. It is not known whether they took his specific advice or not but in 1987 these options were shipped out from the factory. At first, Chief thought that they were making them exclusively for him until the same models started appearing at other dealer counters. At any rate, please send me a photograph and I'll help you figure out what you've got.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
yelsnit

Post by yelsnit »

I will get it out of the safe and take a pic. I wonder why he said they bought the design? I wasn't trying to buy or sell anything. It is a cool stock, I have not see a straight wrist stock like it.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Yelsnit,

Cirrhitide is the Chief AJ expert here on the forum and he will help you identify what you have.
I also have some of the Chief's rifles and he did like to take the pistol grip off of the stock to make
it "straight" like you have.
Looking forward to seeing a pic or two.
Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Yelsnit, all I can say is that you would just have to get to know him. If you don't mind to share some photos I'll see what I can come up with. If I don't already have it written down, I believe I can find out the real deal and would be extremely interested in doing so.

Jay, I appreciate that. Only working on this for a short time, I don't feel like any kind of expert especially on the 10/22 itself and model numbers etc. Charlie is our resident on that! Chief guns and memorabilia.....I'm learning. There is a lot of Chief AJ stuff out there and as you know new things surface all the time!
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
yelsnit

Post by yelsnit »

I hope the photos come through. I just took them with my iPad. It's obvious it's not a altered stock. I really like the rifle a lot, and think many other people would too. Do any of you know anyone building a 10/22 like this?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg