Chief AJ collectable 10/22's and items.

All Memorabilia
T.A. Workman

Re: Chief AJ collectable 10/22's and items.

Post by T.A. Workman »

As I recall from the book,,the University backed off, and John sold the rest of his guns.

FWIW, There are two Chief Illiniwek revolvers for sale in the upcoming RIA auction this week.
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

It says in the article that Chief AJ was 63 so according to his birth date of December 25th 1937 that article is about 18 years old. I have spoken to John a few times and he is a great gentleman. Chuck, your biography of him is inspirational. Thank you for putting his life on paper.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

WT, that does make sense. I read it on my phone first and probably skipped right over his age. He was transitioning away from firearms and into bows around 2000 and that would fit the timeline.

Terry, good looking out on the auction!
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

flattop44 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:39 pm Interesting. Did they ever mend the fences?
No, they didn't. Lawyers got involved on both sides and basically, the Chief was told to cease and desist and that Chief Illiniwek was a trademark of the University. The Native American mascot of UofI was sadly retired much for the same reason our local ASU Jumpin Joe Indian was retired in lieu of a Red Wolf.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Here are a couple of pics of Chief AJ's prominence thanks to the valuable research of our new member TINCANBANDIT. We are lucky to have him here with us.
Bennett
Attachments
2016-02-12 20_05_15-RugerForum.jpg
2016-02-09 20_25_43-sep 87 GUNS magazine cheif aj - Google Search.jpg
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Nice memorabilia! I just picked up a White Feather Hathcock #55 with all paperwork, box, bag, and an autographed photo of Carlos. It came from a deceased collector and friend of The Chief who collected #55 everything. His widow contacted me a few weeks ago to see if I was interested. I am waiting on it to be transferred.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

Great score on the White Feather,,I have #61, very nice rifles.
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Chuck you are one of Chief AJ's favorite people. He speaks very highly of you. We talked Friday night. John is a gentleman of the highest order and an inspiration. I am glad you have the #55 White Feather Hathcock 10/22
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Post 1 of 4. This is the first of a series of posts regarding Chief AJ and his memorabilia. Some very nice people have contacted me about the book that we wrote. This has opened up doors to obtaining more Chief AJ guns and memorabilia. Shown here is #55 of 93 Carlos Hathcock "Whitefeather" U.S.M.C. RZ 10/22 with boxes, targets, autographs, etc. This gun originally belonged to Dean Rothermel who owned the White Barn. Chief and Dean worked together out of this shop for a few years and Dean collected #55 everything. This gun features an adjustable Millet sight and tool, Ramline heat shield, jeweled bolt, overtravel stop, hand lapped bore, and flash suppressor. It came with a certificate of authenticity signed by Carlos as well as a photo from the 1998 Shot show also signed by Carlos.
Attachments
IMG-2585.JPG
IMG-2577.JPG
IMG-2576.JPG
IMG-2575.JPG
IMG-2574.JPG
Last edited by Rugerologist on Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

A few more pieces of the package.
Attachments
IMG-2581.JPG
IMG-2580.JPG
IMG-2579.JPG
IMG-2578.JPG
IMG-2582.JPG
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber