Unauthorized Ruger Gun Cases

All Memorabilia
Rugerologist

Unauthorized Ruger Gun Cases

Post by Rugerologist »

I've got some Ruger gun cases that I've been putting off for some time to share. I saw a gentleman I believe from our group carrying around one of these pistol cases that was pretty worn in Tulsa a few years back. There are 3 sizes of long gun cases, 1 size pistol case and a very few briefcases (which were given to Ruger executives).

The cloth was custom made in England and the cases were made in Italy.

From what I understand Tom Ruger ordered these cases from Dominic DeRobertis, owner of Sile Dist.

Sile started in Italy after the War where they still produce grips for the European factories and consumers. They opened a shop in New York in 1949. Both operations offer other gun accessories. Sile provided walnut grip panels to Ruger from 1954-1963. They also furnished them to other U.S. manufacturers as well.

The finished cases were delivered to Ruger and when Mr. Ruger saw them he blew a gasket and instructed Tom to return them to Sile. I was told that Mr. Ruger's objection was "that he didn't think of it". DeRobertis inquired about payment and Mr. Ruger told him that he wasn't going to pay for them and that Sile could find someone else to buy them. DeRobertis Jr. said that at the time it was politically expedient to just put the cases in storage till things calmed down. Another collector bought all that he had, about 50-60 cases in 1998 or 1999. There are only about a dozen pistol cases. Maybe 5-6 briefcases. I've only ever seen one briefcase which belonged to Tom Ruger and now resides in a private collection.

Here are the ones that I've been able to acquire. All brand new in the original packaging. They are extremely well made and the quality is evident on inspection. Mr. Dougan is credited with the information above. Enjoy
Attachments
IMG-2551.JPG
IMG-2550.JPG
IMG-2549.JPG
IMG-2552.JPG
Last edited by Rugerologist on Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Rugerologist

Re: Unauthorized Ruger Gun Cases

Post by Rugerologist »

A few more.
Attachments
IMG-2556.JPG
IMG-2557.JPG
IMG-2555.JPG
IMG-2554.JPG
IMG-2553.JPG
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Very nice piece of Ruger history, thanks for sharing.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

Chuck,
For your notes, I believe that Mr. Deerstalker over on the RF owns one of the briefcase's.

Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Glad you like them, Bennett.

Awesome Terry, thank you!
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

These are quality cases too. I have had some of all of them except a brief case.
Bill
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

You might be able to tell but in the second photo on the leather near the barrel end, it has a slightly dull gray haze on it. I thought about a gentle cleaning with neatsfoot oil but abstained. I don't want to use anything that could negatively affect the fabric. Any thoughts on cleaning that up?
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Chuck you come up with some great stuff. You guys all amaze me with the things you have.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Watertender, It's a never-ending hunt! There are still quite a few items that I hope to acquire and the list keeps growing. One piece at a time and day by day is the way of the collector.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

Reminds me that I have of these somewhere. It was for a 10/22 as I recall but could not find any details about it years ago. Thanks for the details about these rare items.
Charlie1022