Home Grown Stag

O M CRAZY

Re: Home Grown Stag

Post by O M CRAZY »

That's an interesting way to do it. It makes the grips a little more beefier, a better fit for a larger hand.

O M CRAZY
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

I'm very sure your vision of a family heirloom has been achieved with the story and beauty of work combined Jay. I'm not a buckle guy either but I'm with Terry, down the road maybe scrimshaw or scroll work on the face of burr a Phoenix perhaps. Nice shadow box Jay, whats the story on the .22 on top of the box?
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Thanks Gene,
I have an idea which nephew is in line for the Redhawk, we will see on the SR1911.
The 10-22 on the top came from my FFL. He ended up with about 25 guns from a house fire.
He knows I'm into 10-22's so he called me up and said he had a "one owner never fired 10-22"
that I might want. He had a good laugh when I showed up to get it! So, I tell everyone he charged
me $300 for it!
I thought I might be able to salvage some parts, but it is seized, possibly melted, so tight that it
is just a hanger now.
Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I thought you were going to offer that 10/22 to me for various objects that you might covet such as a jug of corn likker or a set of jumbo petite bib overalls. The marbles are reserved for some really intense dealing. I might consider a Moon Pie or RC Cola as part of the deal
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

We must have the same FFL, he pulls stunts on me as well to get me running to the shop. His humor is along the same line as Carls, I'd prefer an FFL like Chuck that presents him with new No1's what a deal that was.

I wanted to comment that I like the way you think.
"I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker"
And that you are looking at the next generation and beyond for the caretakers for the special pieces in your care. I feel the same way about the pieces I accumulate and the memorabilia I share with my sons and grandson.

Several years ago I bought 6 guns in box and shipper from a older couple who had been in the gun dealership business for 50 years. They had done shows all over the states and wanted to show me all the pictures of them in their youth and their two sons growing up. Eventually she calls one of her sons and he comes over to the house. The dealership was in the basement of their home and introduces us and he tells me about the farm they now run etc. They had a basement full of vintage Smith & Wesson, Rugers, Colts and others all NIB & shippers. As he is about to leave I ask them in front of the son who was approximately my age aren't your sons interested in keeping some of these vintage/classic pieces? The mother pipes up and says: We figured it best to sell them all, they have all the farm ground and machinery they need, and a good amount of savings. Its better they get into a money fight than a gun fight! :shock:

That's was the last I opened my mouth on that subject, I bought a few more from them over the next couple years. We developed a great relationship and I stay in touch with them but they have sold out of Rugers. Unfortunately a large dealer in Kentucky found this little honey hole and really cleaned it out, most of you have probably seen them or maybe done business with them Fugate Firearms. They picked it pretty clean and well lets say the prices are considerably increased as I expect a dealer must do.
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Gene,
Thanks for the comment on my signature.
I must admit I stole it from a good old boy at a local gun show.
He has a Hawkeye pistol, the first I had ever seen. When I told him I wanted to
own his pistol (it was not for sale) he told me I could not ever own it but maybe
someday I would be the next caretaker of this gun. For some reason that just
made sense to me & my outlook about "owning" these/my guns changed.
He still has it. The 2-3 shows I make each year I check in with and tell
him when his turn is done I am ready to be the "next caretaker".
His comment is part of why I had the grips, knives & burl made out of the
elk horn. I want to add more than just $$$$ value to what I leave to my heirs.
And just maybe, instill some caretaker values to the next generation.
My naive hope.
Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker