Bill Ruger

RocDoc

Re: Bill Ruger

Post by RocDoc »

Amazing story!
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Wow, good history lesson and story! My papaw is still with us but had a major stroke a few years ago. He retired from the Cotton Belt/Union Pacific and collected train memorabilia most of his life. When I showed him the photo he had a major reaction and very clearly recognized what it was with lots of noises and pointing back and forth at me and the engine. His speech isn't there though so details were lost with him but I know he could have told me something. Brought a huge smile to his face anyway. Great find Don, Great info Carl!
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

Way to Go Don & Carl, that is great off the cuff quick history, interesting and commemorative to Bill Ruger.
I'm sure there is a photo out there someplace of Mr. Ruger standing by Engine #1949.
Great heartfelt personal story Chuck, Thanks.
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Chuck The Cotton Belt had 4 of the EMD SW9 locomotives. They were numbered 1058,1059,1060 & 1061... They are good locomotives. I have run that particular diesel in both marine & stationary use. The marine engines ran 1200rpm while the stationary engines driving generators ran 1800rpm. When I see some of my RR friends we will blow the locomotive horns in honor of your pa-paw & I will get a couple of blasts in on a ship whistle for him.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

enlarged the picture & #1865 B Tyler Henry is coupled to Bill Ruger....
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
ElNumeroUno

Post by ElNumeroUno »

Now that is some research to come up with a great story! I am impressed. DF should be happy with that purchase that started off as a "pig in a poke"!!
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com