Bill Ruger

d findley

Bill Ruger

Post by d findley »

I bought this as a 1 inch X 1 inch negative on Ebay. The ad said "Bill Ruger" so I bought it to see what it was. Now that I've had it developed, I'm still not sure what it is!? Any railroad guys here? Any ideas?
Attachments
2qwt.jpg
Brass Frame

Re: Bill Ruger

Post by Brass Frame »

I noticed that the # 1949 appears on the front of the engine and near the rear of the engine side. This was their first year selling firearms! I never heard of the RR line? Brass Frame/Lee E
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I saw those listed but didn't think there was any connection. He had another one listed under Bill Ruger but it was a different engine!
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
d findley

Post by d findley »

I looked. It's still there. I'm not a bidder on it.
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I think you got the right one! The other one is listed as a Bill Ruger slide but isn't.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

That's an EMD SW9 model switch engine. Pittsburgh & Shawmut was a shortline railroad in Southwestern PA. The SW9 was a 1200hp switch engine. They are a pretty decent engine & a lot are still in use. It's a V-12 2 stroke diesel
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
d findley

Post by d findley »

Any ideas why Bill Ruger and 1949 are on the side of the train? Memorial, tribute?
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

Carl, do you have the address googled?
Perhaps we could write the company and ask for the background?
This one is killing me with curiosity....

VERY COOL DON
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

The Shawmut Line is out of business. The Genesee & Wyoming RR owns what is left of the PIttsburgh & Shawmut operating it as the Buffalo & Pittsburgh RR. The Watertender has also been a Diesel Wrangler in the past so I am looking into it. A buddy of mine from school is an executive with the G&W RR so I will ask him. If he does not know then nobody would.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Got an answer. Shawmut painted their EMD SW9 locomotives Red, White & Blue in the mid 1970's to celebrate the Bicentennial. Their # 233 became #1774 Ben Franklin.... # 231 was #1775 Independence.... #239 was #1776 Betsy Ross...
#238 was #1816 Elphalet Remington.... #235 was #1851 Sam Colt.... #236 was #1865 B. Tyler Henry.... #232 was #1866 Oliver Winchester.... #234 was #1891 John Browning.... #237 was #1949 Bill Ruger.... Bill Ruger was the only one living at the time to have a Shawmut locomotive named in his honor.... They were repainted back to their original colors & numbers after the Bicentennial then sold when the line folded. Parts of the line were abandoned while the profitable sections were operated under the Buffalo & Pittsburgh name