Auction James Triggs Skeeter Skelton Special Blackhawk Art

Rugerologist

Auction James Triggs Skeeter Skelton Special Blackhawk Art

Post by Rugerologist »

This original Triggs is up on eBay right now. $6800 buy it now.

James Martin Triggs - Skeeter Skelton Special - Ruger Blackhawk - Original Art

https://www.ebay.com/itm/James-Martin-T ... 1438.l2649
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
JAYDAWG

Re: Auction James Triggs Skeeter Skelton Special Blackhawk Art

Post by JAYDAWG »

Chuck,
I saw this one 2 months ago. He is down from $7250 in late Jan.
Curious to see if any bids and if any ROCS members know the history
of this piece.
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Rugerologist

Re: Auction James Triggs Skeeter Skelton Special Blackhawk Art

Post by Rugerologist »

Their description:

"Up for auction/sale is the original art used as the engraving template for the Ruger “Skeeter Skelton Special”. The gun was commissioned by William Ruger as a tribute to Skeeter Skelton and his history of firearms journalism, such as this humorously pointed quote from Skeeter I found in Shooting Times (June 1988):

“It’s true that the .44 Magnum is not the gun for everybody. Texas-style chili con carne offends the palate of some gourmets, and not many lumberjacks wear love beads” --- Skeeter Skelton, October 1969.

The finished gun was engraved by Raymundo Viramontez, the scrimshaw handles were done by Mr. Triggs, with the Blackhawk being presented by William B Ruger to Sally and Bart Skelton on Feb. 14, 1988. The artworks colors and detail make it looks like a picture of the gun, but upon close inspection you can see the corrections and touchups of the artist and at the time the engraved gun did not exist…

Along with the artwork, I have a few assorted items which also went along with the artwork, which includes an original engravers transfer, the original Skeeter Skelton signature penciled by Mr. Triggs, and a copy of the original blueprint for the Blackhawks full design.

The original artwork is on heavy Bainbridge art board measuring roughly 11” tall x 13 ¾” wide, it has some glue stains along the top and bottom of the art page from where it was originally matted, but this can be matted out for presentation (see my storage example). Otherwise, there are no water stains, no mold, and the artwork presents beautifully."
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber