The first 3-screw that led to my addiction

Blackhawk41

The first 3-screw that led to my addiction

Post by Blackhawk41 »

Although I've owned Rugers for many years I had never had the pleasure of owning a 3-screw. Then about 14 months ago while on lunch break one day I stopped at a LGS to look around and they just happened to have this .45 Colt on consignment in the cabinet. Already owning a New Model Bisley .45, I wasn't particularly looking for another Blackhawk but a guy's gotta take a look, right? As I picked it up the thought went through my mind, "Hmmm, for $450 that's really not a bad deal. Not that I need it..." It had the transfer bar conversion, but it was still a good deal (at least in our area of the country). Then, showing an unexpected and unusual amount of self-control I pushed it back across the counter and told them, "It's nice, but I better not." It felt good to do the responsible thing. Sort of.
Eight blocks up the road while headed back to work I slapped myself (and am pretty sure audible, verbally-abusive behavior was included) and the next thing you know my truck was back at the LGS. Figured if the consignor would agree to take any less it was a sign from God that buying it was the right thing to do. Well, they made the phone call and the seller agreed to drop the price a little, so now I was obligated to keep my word. It was only the honest thing to do, after all.
Further confirmation that buying it had been the right thing to do came after the paperwork was done. Running the serial number revealed that it was a 1972 model--my birth year! Then after doing a little research I discovered that the Old Model was only made in .45 Colt for a few short years and the 4 5/8" barrel accounted for relatively few of those made. How about that?!
And that, my friends, is what started this downward spiral.

flattop44

Re: The first 3-screw that led to my addiction

Post by flattop44 »

Wow, that's a great first snag, fine looking BH. The 4-5/8" .45s are certainly desirable, and sounds like you got it cheap.
FT44
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

Easy to re-convert it if you can find the parts. Lots of guys on this forum and rugerforum.com could help you out with that, just place an add in the classifieds.
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

What downward spiral?? Buying Ruger revolvers causes a downward spiral?? Why didn't someone tell me that years ago? Oh, let me think. Yeah I do believe someone who collects Rugers might have said something like that but I didn't listen and just like that I was branded a Ruger collector. But it is fun, and as many say, the the fun is in the hunt for that one special one. Enjoy the downward spiral :D
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Blackhawk41

Post by Blackhawk41 »

Well, this isn't my only downward spiral, it simply joined forces with my Marlin lever-action and S&W revolver spirals. :lol:
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Way to go, your Rugers are in good company!!
FT44
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Downward spiral? You are among friends that are spiraling as well. Most probably spin in a clockwise direction but I bet JAYDAWG rotates to the left. If all else fails, just say it followed you home. That usually works...
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
rugerguy

Post by rugerguy »

Nice gun, and a nice find, and no , not a "downward spiral" all it is , another phase, another move in the game of life............many go through this, some never get started, enjoy them for what they are .
Used to collect lots of different stuff started with Colts, then Smith, used them ,worked with them, and serviced them ALL, got into the Ruger because they were affordable, hardy, and the fun of cowboy style guns is where its at...... not any of that 'black plastic' crap....... 8-) :roll: ;)
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Nice find, hard to walk away from a buy like that, a few years ago I found a `71 BK-45X in a Pawn shop for around that price, needless to say it came home with me just with it had been the 4 5/8" configuration. As you know they multiple in the safe like rabbits do in the cage if you're lucky and a rabbit breeder or a Ruger collector.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
contender

Post by contender »

Nice snag there.
I'm a fan of those OM .45's for sure. With only 3 years of production, and fewer of them than the FT 44's,, they are desirable. Add in that there are only (6) variations, it can make collecting "one of each" a doable challenge.
Downward spiral? Nahh! :D