Hello

drjjpdc

Hello

Post by drjjpdc »

Hi, I'm from NJ right next to Fort Dix/McGuire AFB. The proud owner of a Ruger 1A Light Sporter in 7mm-08. It's main use will be Silhouette (CB and High Power). I am on permanent disability so I don't know how much hunting I might do.

I haven't reloaded jacketed bullets yet. Does anyone have any favorites for quality and price?

A friend of mine gave me a scope to try. It's a Nikon Prostaff 5 3.5 - 14 x 40 Matte BDC Riflescope. Before I put it on, what do you guys think of it as a mid-price scope for the Ruger. It looks like there is enough eye relief. It also doesn't look bad physically with the objective end near the tang safety. This is my 1st Ruger 1. But would just like an opinion or two from the more experienced owners.
flattop44

Re: Hello

Post by flattop44 »

Welcome aboard. You have picked a great rifle, the No. 1 is something special. Can't help you with the scope but hopefully another member will chime in some info about it.
FT44
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Welcome!! I am sure more than one member here has been through Fort Dix / McGuire AFB New Jersey. I have a friend that is a MSGT in the USAF who is at McGuire AFB regularly. Ruger is good stuff and the people of the ROCS are a nice bunch
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

Hello from Ohio. I both collect and shoot No.1 Ruger rifles. I prefer the smaller, varmint type calibers and the latest pistol cartridges for deer hunting. Nearly all of my rifles are equipped with used Leupold Vari XIII scopes. I say used because this model of scope is no longer made, but can still be found used at shows. Leupold has a "no questions asked" policy on returns for repair. I send every used Leupold I purchase back to the factory for cleaning, centering the cross hairs and a general inspection. This model was made in many power ranges, 1 X 5, 2.5 X 8, 3.5 X 10, 4.5 X 14, 6.5 X 20. These are the ones that I own.
I have found them to be durable, reliable and good quality. The higher power models have an adjustable Objective end too. Try one, you might like it! Brass Frame/Lee
Big Old Boy

Post by Big Old Boy »

Welcome aboard I believe that Nikon will do anything you may ask of it I have a few #1s and do enjoy them.