HAIL FROM ILLINOIS: Were Broke,

ruger
Site Admin

Re: HAIL FROM ILLINOIS: BROKE & FIGHTING TO TAKE MY GUNS

Post by ruger »

And another "northerner" here (not from Crook county) considering most people consider anything south of route 80 southern Illinois. :shock:
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

by ruger » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:21 pm
And another "northerner" here (not from Crook county) considering most people consider anything south of route 80 southern Illinois. :shock:

Thank you for the welcome "ruger". Yes thats true anything south of I-80 has been the line lol, Don't misunderstand me, I enjoy my friends, acquaintances and visits to all 4 corners of the State. I assume you like I and most others are simply frustrated with our struggling state government and political incompetence to regain control over and out of control budget and seeing our 2nd amendment rights and rights of our FFL's being held hostage or threatened over budget issues.
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
LIBERTY FOREVER

Welcome from northern Illinois.
Great pictures.
U.S. Army Viet Nam Vet '68-69'

Duster
Thanks for the Welcome and Your Service in Viet Nam, much respect to you and your Brothers & Sisters who served.
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
LIBERTY FOREVER

Charlie my goal is to acquire a group of Revolvers/M77's to warrant a beginners display in a year or two.
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
LIBERTY FOREVER

Watertender
Little Egypt is indeed a portion of the true Souther Illinois, Interstate 64 and south. Its the area I reside in and was raised and went to school.
SIU-C Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Its rich in history from politics, settlers, etc. The Shawnee forest is truly one of its greatest resources. You must have some ties to or have resided in Illinois at one time?
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
LIBERTY FOREVER

Some of my 76 DA Security Sixes Liberties

The stainless are models 717, in .357, GA 32 2 3/4", GA 34 4", GA 36 6"
The blued are models 117, in .357 RDA 34 4" and RDA 36 6"

Ruger Security Sixes Liberty models.jpg
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

L F,
Welcome to the group (I'm kinda late :oops: )

You really don't have to have a lot of guns to do a display. If you have a couple with some interesting history that's all you need. The displays we do are meant to be educational, show people all the different Rugers and explain their significance in the gun world. We have had single gun displays, displays with 2 or 3 pretty rare Rugers and displays with 50 guns. Numbers don't necessarily matter, if you have Rugers with a good story, show them. When I was thinking about doing a display, my mentor told me "just do it, and have fun".

Those are nice Security Sixes you have (My specialty is the Six series DA's)
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I used to work with a "River Rat" from Cairo so that is how I know Little Egypt. We were Engineers together. That is why I am known as Watertender.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
LIBERTY FOREVER

by RoninPA » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:29 pm
L F,
Welcome to the group (I'm kinda late :oops: )

You really don't have to have a lot of guns to do a display. If you have a couple with some interesting history that's all you need. The displays we do are meant to be educational, show people all the different Rugers and explain their significance in the gun world. We have had single gun displays, displays with 2 or 3 pretty rare Rugers and displays with 50 guns. Numbers don't necessarily matter, if you have Rugers with a good story, show them. When I was thinking about doing a display, my mentor told me "just do it, and have fun".

Those are nice Security Sixes you have (My specialty is the Six series DA's)

Hello Ron, thank you for the welcome and advice. I also enjoy the double actions and have attached some photos I hope you will enjoy them as a military man. Thank you for your service, congratulations on a career in service and retirement. Have you spent any time at Scott AFB its not far from my HOR? I do try and pick up different items of significance when the opportunity presents itself. My Ruger passion and collecting is more personal than educational or even for financial exchange. I'm not much into the numbers ie, serial number chasing and I know that the 1976 Liberty models aren't collectible but I enjoy them; as you stated in your closing "just have fun" and that's what Ive done. I realize its not a numbers game and I joked in jest in my introduction and comments on the collecting, culling and article on tips for collectors in the Spring 2017 edition. I do collect more than just Liberty models but they have a special patriotic place in my heart. They kept me from going crazy, I began collecting them while recovering in the military and VA hospital system from a gun fight and mortar blast in Afghanistan. Nearly three years of surgeries and rehab, the patriotic stamp had caught my eye many years earlier and I set my sites on the goal of collecting all the SSS and BH's in the 1976 LIBERTY release NIB with shipping sleeves. I'm only short a few and have managed to catch most of the DA's as well but not all with shipping sleeve or box, also the 10-22, .44 carbine, mini-14, and all but 3 of the M77's. Its almost mission complete and I will put them all away for my grand kids and move on to something more challenging and definitely Old Model. Enjoy the military models, they are RCA special release from 1981 and 1984/5. If you don't know the history behind them I will tell you more tomorrow but I suspect you have a set.

Best regards, Gene
RCA Certificate 1981 Ruger Military.jpg
RCA Ruger Military DA 1981 .jpg
RCA Ruger Certificate 84 85.jpg
RCA Ruger Military DA 1984 Release.jpg
LIBERTY FOREVER

RCA member offerings # 16 1981 and RCA member offering # 21
I appreciate each and everyone's introduction and truly feel welcome among the ROCS.
I'm going to post a few last attachments here to go with the conversation with Ron on DA Rugers as I hope to learn from him. I will be moving on to the other forum subjects that pertain to the individual interests and pick up what I can from all of you over there. Thank you for the welcome and patience while I work through some forum protocol.

Best regards, Gene
RCA Bulletin #16.jpg

RCS Bulletin 16-1.jpg

RCA Bulletin #21.jpg

RCS Bulletin # 21-1.jpg