New member from London, OH

StampCollector

New member from London, OH

Post by StampCollector »

Hello fellow Ruger enthusiasts! I have always been a Ruger fan and a couple years ago ran across a fingergroove 10/22 at a local "hole in the wall" gun shop. Never seen one before, didn't even know Ruger made such a thing. I bought it, fell in love, and with some advise from my fellow friends from RugerForum.com I bought the William Workman book on 10/22's. From there I have been like a moth to a flame! Since then, I have been fortunate enough to speak with a few folks that have collections that dreams are made of. My past collecting experience consisted of 500 series Remington 22's. I hope that is not a cuss word on here. Best Regards, Jim
Rugerologist

Re: New member from London, OH

Post by Rugerologist »

Welcome to the ROCS forums! I'd be willing to bet that most of us here own or have owned a Remington or few. The Ruger bug bit most of us pretty hard though. My first deer and others afterward were taken with a youth model 870 in 20ga. That shotgun has successfully taken ducks, turkey, raccoon, deer, a coyote or two, and even a chow that bit me one day while fishing in my own pond. And don't even get me started on the Doves. In my youth, for some reason, I was pretty mad at the doves. I can hear the shot raining everywhere around a fresh cut dove field and 8 shooters encircling it. I still get pumped up about dove hunting although it has been a few years. My favorite dove, skeet, and trap gun is a Remington Peerless O/U Field 12. A Red Label usually goes too! For Ducks......Benelli SBEII. I have a few Nylons, 870s, 700s, and misc other Remingtons and fond memories of many of them. You're in good company.

Kind Regards
Chuck
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Jim,
Welcome to ROCS, I am sure that you can/will find subject matter to your liking here on the forum. Do you happen to be a OGCA member? If so, July 2018 will be another ROCS display at that show/meeting and there are always great displays with Rugers of all types. Plus you'll have a wealth of experience/knowledge and just great Ruger collectors to talk to about any Ruger(s) you can think of. This forum, like the Rugerforum.com is just like a big (huge) family (but I think we get along better :D ).

Glad to have you join us.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Welcome to the ROCS site, we hope you enjoy it. I am a Ruger additic but have three 870s with #4 buck in strategic locations around here and a 1100 that I have used for many years so your love for the Remington is quite acceptable. ☺
Oh, our webmaster is a serious Remington collector and very active in the Remington Collectors Society.
Enjoy and let us know if we can be of any help you.
Bill
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Welcome Jim, I think you will find our forum one of the best sources for Ruger information. As you can see your love for the Remington is also shared.
My first .22 rifle, (Actually second, my first was an old single shot of an unknown maker) was a Remington model 550. I actually wore the sides of the bolt paper thin from use. I got another one years later, I don't use it. The Ruger 10/22 was a better fit for me and it was all Rugers from then out.
We have several 10/22 collectors here and I am sure they can help you with any questions you may have.

O M CRAZY.....aka Vince
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

Hello Stampcollector/Jim. You are truly among friends, that is if you are an Ohio State University fan!? I live near Bowling Green, Ohio where the wind always blows! I am a LIFE member of OGCA and we will indeed have another ROCS display show in Wilmington at the Roberts Center. That show will be the second weekend of July, 2018. Let me know if you would like to bring some Rugers to the show. I will be coordinating all the events and can fill you in with more details. We usually have 16 to 20 displays of all kinds of Rugers. I have owned a number of Remingtons too. My current favorite is a 28 gauge, 1100 Lightweight. I bought if for my two grandsons (ages 11 & 9). They are just starting to use this Remington. Like Bill, I have several Magnum 870s for home and varmint protection. I collect Old Models and early Ruger No.1 rifles. I am headed to Stuttgart, AR. with my Benelli II for a few days of duck hunting. Killed my Ohio deer with a new .44 Magnum No.1 rifle this year. Let me know what I can do to be of help to you. Brass Frame/Lee E
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Hi Jim & welcome. Other brands of firearms are discussed here at times so none is a cuss word as far as I know. My 1st handgun was a H&R 922 Bantamweight that I traded $10 & a case of beer for... That one is long gone & I do have other brands besides Ruger. It's a great bunch of people here & you will have fun. Looking forward to see you posting. Carl/Watertender
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
StampCollector

Post by StampCollector »

Gentlemen,

All I can say is wow! I belong to many forums, but have never experienced any comradery like what has been displayed here.

Chuck, I'm still cracking up about the chow who met your 870! Reminds me of a buddy who went squirrel hunting and some baby coons started nibbling at his feet. He nudged them away and they let out a war hoop. Next thing he knew moma coon was on him. He took off running and a split second later he thought, why in the hell am I running, I have a gun!!!

Ron, I am a member of the OGCA. I saw the ROCS display earlier this year, had no clue what it represented, and met a couple awesome guys! This time I'm gonna sit down and chat a little more.

Bill, I like the idea of strategically placed 870's. Like one of my buddies always said about a shotgun. There are a lot of soldiers coming out of that barrel, hard to refuse them!

Vince, I have several 550-1's, the beauty of that gun is being able to fire 22 short, long and long rifle. Very few semi-autos can boast that. Truth be known my first 22 was a 10/22. I shot it soooo much the extractor wore into the barrel and wouldn't feed. I still have it. Treated the walnut stock to about ten coats of urethane plus wet sanding, put her in the back of the safe.

Lee, OSU football? I sure ain't no Michigan fan, sorry wolverine guys. Iv'e met another great guy at the OGCA from BG. No doubt you already know Radical Rod! Ah yes, Ohio finally passed a law allowing us to use straight walled cartridges in a rifle to harvest deer, bout time!

Carl, Thank you for the warm welcome and I truly look forward to chatting with all the great folks on here!
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Yes,
Welcome! Lots of good folks here.
I too am a 10-22 guy. I can't get enough of 'em & once Charlie gets settled in Gator country
I'm sure you will be hearing from him.
But, I am starting to wonder if ROCS really stands for Ruger OHIO collectors society! :P
If my Washington Huskies end up playing the Buckeys in the future, I will either win big
or loose my ass betting with everyone on here!!

Cheers,

JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Jay,
Not all of us are from Ohio :roll: There are a few of us that follow Penn State (Oops, did I just say a bad word to you :o ) But it really doesn't matter where we are from or who we root for, we have one main concern: Get the knowledge out about Rugers they are what we can all rally around :D

Jim,
Well then, I guess we'll meet up in July at the Roberts Center.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron