New Member, Central Texas

several1911s

New Member, Central Texas

Post by several1911s »

Hello, all, I'm Joe Hogan, very glad to be a member of this group. Live in central Texas, retired Army, now teach for local college.

I shoot a 10-22, a New Blackhawk in .45LC, and my favorites: a Standard (10-), several 22/45s (Mark 2 [223-], 3 [273-], and 4 [401######], and my most recent purchase of just a couple of weeks ago, a Mark 1 "US" (77###). Several aspects of this pistol don't seem to jive with what I see at first glance in Hiddleson's Encyclopedia, so I'm having to do more research, especially on who/how they were rebarreled since mine (6 7/8" barrel) has a front sight unlike anything I see in the book.

Many thanks, Joe
flattop44

Re: New Member, Central Texas

Post by flattop44 »

Welcome aboard Joe, happy to have you. Mr Don Findley is the ROCS Historian and author of the book you see on our homepage. "Bill Rugers .22 Pistol". He most likely will be able to answer any questions about your pistol that you have. He will probably be along shortly.

If you can post some pictures here it would be a big help in the discussion.

Bill
d findley

Post by d findley »

Welcome to ROCS, Joe. I have owned several of these US marked pistols. Yours is in the right serial number range. Probable shipped in 1956. If I could see a picture of your pistol I might be able to shed some light on that sight.
several1911s

Post by several1911s »

Hello thank you very much for your prompt replies. First time trying to upload pics to a forum, hope it works. Here are left and right views of the front sight. If these work I have a couple of others, oblique views, etc. and will do them. Thank you again, I certainly appreciate any thoughts. Joe
Attachments
007 Front Sight Right.JPG
006 Front Sight Left.JPG
several1911s

Post by several1911s »

Three more, from the rear, and two oblique views.

Hopefully the rear view is detailed enough to show the sight was not attacked by someone with a Dremel tool, too smooth and factory-appearing especially with the radius between the two angles.
Attachments
010 Front Sight Oblique.JPG
009 Front Sight High Oblique.JPG
008 Front Sight Rear.JPG
several1911s

Post by several1911s »

Last two, just for comparison sights on my Standard and the Mark 1. Pistol is a real shooter, this 3" target from 7 yards with no adjustment of the rear sight.

Thank you again! Joe
Attachments
012 3 inch Target, 7 Yards.jpg
011 Front Sights Standard over Mark I.JPG
d findley

Post by d findley »

I believe someone filed the original sight blade to that shape. I have an extra front sight blade for that pistol. If you would like to restore your pistol to original shape send me your mailing address. I'll send you that blade. No charge. donfindley806@gmail.com
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Hi Joe and welcome aboard.
I see Don has already fixed you up. You list yourself as "Several 1911s" Do you also collect the Ruger 1911s? I am mostly into the old model Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks, but have acquired a few of the Ruger SR1911s in .45acp.

O M CRAZY
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Joe welcome to the ROCS. This is a great group with a lot of knowledgeable and generous people. We have fun here.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
SteveRuger

Post by SteveRuger »

Welcome to the ROCS Forum Joe! you will find a great group of members here.
Enjoy
Steve
GUN COLLECTORS.......Stewards of America's Firearms Heritage!
God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers!