Collection Question from a new member

Van357

Collection Question from a new member

Post by Van357 »

Greetings,
I am in the process of helping a dear friend prepare a Ruger collection for pricing and eventual sale.
These M77's and #1,#2 and #3's were all purchased in the 1970's and 80's .all are NIB unfired or even unopened...I believe he has every Ruger model and caliber in the "Centennial " models and "Special Production "runs of O/U in all Gauges...etc.
My question is how do the values of these Firearms vary as compared with Rugers of more recent production?
I am aware that many #1's are far more rare and valuable such as the #1 in 357 Mag and RSI's in some calibers.
Hoping y'all could point me in the right direction so his investment over the years gives him the best return as possible.
Regards and thank you!
Vote Freedom First!
67stingray

Re: Collection Question from a new member

Post by 67stingray »

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure your questions can be answered here but it would require quite a bit more information then you've offered. Need details about the firearms to be able to properly assess value.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
Van357

Post by Van357 »

They are checking the collection inventory and will have a list soon....I have found a buyer for the entire collection who will then have a mass sale here in Utah...will post details when that happens later this fall.
Any interested parties could then buy form the dealer/FFL Store.
Still not sure how many it will be.
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

I don't want to dampen anything you are doing, you are doing a great service for this person.

However, a private buyer is not going to give the seller what the guns are worth. With this extensive of a collection, it needs to be handled by a good reputable firearms auction company like Poulin, James Julia, Rock Island, Amoskeag, etc. They will typically get the seller the most out of them.

A private buyer/dealer will not give what the guns are worth because they are going to resell them and expect to make a profit on the sales. Thusly, they just won't pay a premium for a gun like a buyer at an auction will. I would guess that a private seller/dealer will only give about 50% of their value.

When you start getting into large collections to liquidate, it takes a lot of work and an auction company takes on those duties when contracted to perform the auction.

FYI - I am not affiliated with any auction company but want to see when collections like this are sold the seller gets a fair price.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

DIDO on what Ron said. If you have no experience and don't know what you are selling, and know nothing about their value than go to the experts. On large collections some will come to your home and pick them up and some do not charge a sellers commission.

O M CRAZY
Van357

Post by Van357 »

Thank you both!
I will do some research on reputable auction houses!