Greetings from Vienna

RugerfanAustria

Re: Greetings from Vienna

Post by RugerfanAustria »

I heard that in the UK it is even more difficult with pistols and revolvers which is very sad for interested collectors and enthusiasts. Is it really only allowed to own rifles in the UK?
Last edited by RugerfanAustria on Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dobi

Re: Greetings Form Vienna

Post by Dobi »

@RugerfanAustria
Markus, thanks for bringing this forum to my attention!
I have already posted my "New Member Introduction", but I have to wait until it is approved by a moderator.

Edit/Sub:
The activation went quite fast and here's some info about the second new guy from Vienna here ;-)
-> http://www.rugersociety.com/forums/view ... 353#p18353
Still a beginner in shooting & reloading
Member of ISB www.isb-shooting.com
Member of National Firearms Association Austria www.nfvoe.at
"I don't believe any conspiracy theories!
They are all circulated by a secret government agency ..."
RugerfanAustria

If you are interested in loads with Vihtavuori powder, I could put in a few measurements from the fire office.
RugerfanAustria

My both rifles
20210812_171046~2.jpg
SPAS 15

Post by SPAS 15 »

RugerfanAustria wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:36 pm I heard that in the UK it is even more difficult with pistols and revolvers which is very sad for interested collectors and enthusiasts. Is it really only allowed to own rifles in the UK?
You can own pistol and revolvers here in the UK but within a strict set of rules. For example you can collect and keep at home any firearms that are deemed as an obsolete calibre. The firearms are fully functioning and have not been deactivated. You cannot buy or store ammunition for these as the whole idea is that the ammunition is very hard to get especially here in the U.K. If you can get ammunition for a particular firearm then it as to go onto a Firearms Certiifcate and the number you can possess with this capability are restricted and where you can shoot them. This is classed as Section 58 and any number can be acquired with no need for a certificate. A list is published by the government of which calibres they deem as obsolete and the list can change and calibres removed if a calibre as been sourced or manufactured and as been proved to have been used in a crime. This as happened in the past with .44 S&W being removed. Anybody owning Section 58 firearms of this calibre that were purchased before it was removed can still keep them.

The other way to own a pistol or revolver is on a Section 7.3 Certificate. This allows any firearms that is deemed to comply to any of the following criteria

a) Particular Rarity

Note the requirement for particular rarity. The Home Office use the Gabbett Fairfax Mars as an example of a pistol that would qualify. In order to gauge the significance of this it is worth remembering fewer than 100 were originally produced. It would be reasonable to expect that extremely rare variants of more common guns would qualify, as would pre-production development pieces.

b) Aesthetic Quality

This covers pistols that have been extensively modified to enhance their appearance. Firearms made or modified after 16th October 1996 are not eligible. Expect to have to demonstrate some genuine artistic merit or a significant increase in financial value due to the aesthetic enhancement. Factory produced commemoratives are unlikely to qualify.

c) Technical Interest

This encompasses firearms with some noteworthy technical feature. Examples include but are not limited to guns that demonstrate a technical solution to a particular issue, guns with unique design features not widely copied in other guns, or firearms which were the first in a significant field.

d) Historic Importance

The Home Office offer a number of different criteria that would be grounds for regarding a particular pistol as being of historic interest.

Firearms owned by a famous historic figure or by someone involved in events of historic importance, would be regarded as being qualified for section 7(3) status under this heading. Evidence supporting the provenance would be required.

Guns made before 1919 may be considered of historic importance due to their age and rarity. Guns made after 1945 are unlikely to qualify on age alone.

You need to join a club where Section 7.3 firearms can be held and shot, (if there are spaces available), and go through a probational period where you are accessed by the club that you are safe to own and use a firearm. Once you probation is over you can then find a firearms that meets the criteria and you like and make your application but you have to list the firearm and if granted a certificate that IS the firearms you purcahsed.
When purchased you cannot collect the firearms as it needs to be delivered to the club by a Section 5 dealer. It can only be stored and shot at the club as you cannot keep them at home. I personally know someone who as to travel a 200 mile round trip to fire his pistol. Personally i do not think it is worth all the hassle just to shoot a few rounds now and then. Sorry if this was a bit long winded but that is what it is like here in the U.K.
RugerfanAustria

SPAS 15 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:37 am Sorry if this was a bit long winded but that is what it is like here in the U.K.
I am very grateful to you for this interesting insight into the realities of English gun law.
contender

Post by contender »

Welcome to the Forum! And yes,, we do allow ALL Ruger fans,, no matter where they live to join us & share.

Nice batch of handguns there!
hittman

Post by hittman »

Welcome from Illinois!
RugerfanAustria

My latest acquisition, a Security Six with a 6 inch barrel built in 1979. I will probably have to wait even longer for the Super GP100 and Single Six Hunter. :(
20211102_200700~2.jpg
What delivery times do you have to expect in America if the desired model is not in stock at your dealer and has to be ordered first?
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

typically if the gun is not at a local dealer I just buy it off a dealer on the internet. a couple days later I have it.