Favorites??

ale-8(1)

Favorites??

Post by ale-8(1) »

Somebody has to get this ball rolling . . .

I admit to having "one of (almost) every Ruger Old Model". I shoot them all. My very first Ruger was a Single-Six RSS5X that I received for Christmas in 1962. I still have it, still shoot it.

Over the years though, the .45 Blackhawk has become my favorite shooter. I have both barrel lengths, but my very VERY favorite is the 7-1/2" variant.

Next?

:mrgreen:
Chief_10Beers

Re: Favorites??

Post by Chief_10Beers »

Depends on the day, but most of the time it's my Lipsey's 5" Blued 45C FTBH :mrgreen: .....................................
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

A Vaquero 44 mag SS, I was late to the party so only got a later clean-up, but still...
RUGER1441

Post by RUGER1441 »

One of my favorites is a 44 Blackhawks cut down to 4 5/8. Serial number 1212. Cut this down long before I knew any better, around 1968. Many a rabbit and a few deer have been dispatched.
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

I'm glad you said "Favorites" not favorite. My favorites are my Six series guns although I really, really like my GP100's also (have about 53 Six series and up to 7 GP's now). Right now my carry guns rotate between a SR9c, SP101 with Crimson Trace, LCR .38+P, LCP, and once reliability is determined a ParaOrdance Elite Carry .45ACP (3"bbl). What gets carried just depends on the situation.

If it really came down to having only one gun, I would go with either a 5 1/2" SS Redhawk in .44 Mag or a 5" SS GP100 in .357 Mag, with the lean towards the GP (50.5% to 49.5%)
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

In the interest of keeping this post alive, I will add that I too like to carry my Old Model .44 Flat Top, cut down to 4 5/8" with a Super Blackhawk hammer and trigger. It carries easy in my Thad Ribka rough out holster. I recently traveled to Montana to help a rancher friend with his "rodent reduction" program. The prairie dog population was greatly reduced, but the snakes and other varmints ate well. My .44 carried two rounds of CCI .44 Mag. snake loads, plus three rounds of .44 Special for bigger varmints. Lots of fun for 4 days! Brass Frame/Lee E.
Coogs

Post by Coogs »

Maximums, of course................but I do have a special place in my heart for my Hawkeye. Coogs.
b1buddy

Post by b1buddy »

Well :shock: I dunno! For me, there ain't no such as thing as just one!

First Ruger I fell in love with was back in the early 80's in my Silhouette days. It was a 10.5" 44. Then, came the same in the Maximum. Do not have those any more but wish I did. I do have replacements though. :oops:

Then, somewhere along in there a friend put two old, beat up short barreled 357 Flat tops on his table next to me. I bought 'em and still have them. Been in love with them ever since. Up to something around 12-13 of those now including a couple of the 10" versions.

Oh, and there are 45 OM's too! Love 'em!! :o :o :o

Only one Redhawk in my stash. It is a 5.5" in 45 Colt. It shoots good too!!!!

Mentioned above was "If only could have one" - Naw!!! Can't go there! gotta keep them all!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
contender

Post by contender »

With my SA collection north of 100 pieces,,, I will NOT try & pick a favorite or even several favorites. All of mine have a special spot in my collector or shooters heart.
I will say that my initial interest in Rugers in general started when I was 17 & a friend was reloading some 38 spl ammo for my brothers 357 Blackhawk I kept "borrowing." I went to his house & his wife brought out her "baby" a Hawkeye. That was my earliest serious "hook" into special Rugers when I shot her Hawkeye. The Blackhawk was plenty of fun & my first Ruger I got to enjoy, but it got stolen in the late 1970's. But the Hawkeye just grabbed my attention. Well, it took me 35 years before the stars aligned & I became the proud owner of my 1st Hawkeye.
It was a very nice 3 digit gun that some idiot had D&Ted the topstrap. But I STILL got it & enjoy shooting it. I recently was able to add a nice collector grade Hawkeye to my collection & as such, I'm quite fond of it as it was my first true "lusted after" Ruger.
I even named my gunrange after my favorite model of Rugers,,, "Hawkeye Gun Range."
So, I carry a soft spot for Hawkeyes, but I enjoy ALL of my Rugers!
Robb Barnes

Post by Robb Barnes »

The one I carry and shoot the most is probably my little OM 357 to 41 Special conversion by Horvath. It recently got a brass Powers birds head grip frame and Nutmeg ivories so it is even handier to tuck away in the horn bags on my saddle.
I know on some forums if there is not a picture, the gun does not exist so here we go.
Last edited by Robb Barnes on Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.