Therapy

Charlie1022

Re: Therapy

Post by Charlie1022 »

I bought one of the new Ruger Precision Rimfire rifles a couple weeks ago and have been having fun with it out on my 50 yard range in the back yard. Been trying several different types of ammo to see which one shoots the best. I just picked up two more different type of target ammo to try in it but haven't had time to try them yet . We have been busy getting ready to take our horses for a few days trail riding which is another form of therapy I enjoy.
Charlie1022
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Sounds like a banner day Jay! Nothing better than going out and enjoying a relaxing time shooting. I have done that before where you are out there shooting and someone else comes around to shoot. You exchange a few pleasantries and perhaps try each others firearms. A nice safe enjoyable time with another of the like mind. Of course a good fun time like that with a gun never makes the news... Hope you had some fine eats after!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

I now bought one of the RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor and wow does it shoot right out of the box> Neighbor that I shoot with came over when he heard me sighting it in and watched me put one through the same hole at 50 yards sighting it in. I moved it out to 100 yards on my range at the house and it is shooting 1/4" groups with factory ammo! Hope to go over to the club and shoot 200 yards and see how it shoots. I know another range where I can shoot up to 750 yards. I am really impressed on how it shoots!
Charlie1022
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Charlie,
On my Alaska trip and a two day class on long range precision shooting, there were 2 guys with the RPR in 6.5.
Both do not have much experience slinging lead downrange, but at the end of day two they both hit a clay piegon
at 1000 yards!!! Took both a dozen shots, but they hit 'em. Seen it through my own scope.
One MOA at 1000 yards is approx 10 inches, so to hit a 4 inch clay is less than 1/2 MOA shooting.
So, ya that RPR will shoot..... Have fun!!! :D

Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
bruce

Post by bruce »

Ah yes ... Therapy! Went out this past Friday to the range. Took my beloved Sig 226, Walther PPK/S and ... my Ruger Mk. II. As always, the Sig shot lights out! Wolf ammo is supposed to be lower quality, but in that Sig it sure shines. Next I lit up the Walther. I know it kicks. I know it also can bite. But, I like it. Put 50 rounds into a 12 yd. plate w/ no misses. Pounded the paint off in a four inch pattern w/ 5 rounds that were around the edges. Did almost the same at 15 yds. with only a few more around the edge of the group. I saved the best for last. Took out the Mk. II. It had not been so reliable last time at the range. So, Thursday night I gave it a thorough cleaning. Had put at least 1,500 - 2,000 rounds through it over the last month or so. It was all gummed up with the sludge, wax, etc. Got it clean as possible. Little booger must like being clean! I was shooting it at the 25 yd. plate. Fired several 50 round strings. Shot like a laser! Aimed at a bullet strike and saw the group develop ... about the size of the bottom of my coffee mug. Second group was not as good. I just plain got tired. Little short of breath. Been like that since Covid. Disconcerting.

Tomorrow ... hopefully ... I will get to take the Ruger to the range again. I am retiring on Sunday after 43 years of pastoral ministry. We will be moving that afternoon. It is the last time I'll get to see the fellows at the local range. Want to touch base with them before we leave. I have a much loved S&W 18-3 that I have owned since 2000. It has been my most shot, most enjoyed handgun. Must say, that little Ruger Mk. II ... stainless steel! Have a very nice Standard Model ... blued of course. Much prefer the stainless. It is just so much more practical for using and enjoying. Sincerely. bruce.