Torque Screwdriver Recommendations

Rugerologist

Torque Screwdriver Recommendations

Post by Rugerologist »

Can anyone here recommend a high-quality, adjustable, torque screwdriver? I've been comparing the Vortex which is a newer mid-range offering to the Wheeler "Fat" which has been around a for a bit, and then Capri Tools has one that's a bit higher price point but looks very well built to the Snap-Ons and SK Hand Tool. Anyone have thoughts on the subject or a brand that they trust?
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
RoninPA

Re: Torque Screwdriver Recommendations

Post by RoninPA »

I use the Wheeler 'Fat" and have not had a need to look for another.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Thank you, Ron! That has a great price and other good reviews as well. I think I'll skip those pricier ones and take your recommendation.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Fox Mike

Post by Fox Mike »

While I am a torque wrench believer I have never seen any torque values listed anywhere for any Ruger. Where would one go to get them?
Frank
Retired: 67Z5M
NRA
Maryland Shall Issue
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I've seen some torque specs listed or discussed for some Ruger guns like M77s, 10/22s, and the Americans but my application isn't even gun related. I'm actually working on a water pump!
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

I used to run a torque wrench so much at work that I got to the point I could do the test without a torque wrench but not sure If I could do it without some practice again. I have never had a problem with a screw coming loose when just going by feel and I have been installing scopes for myself and others for many years. I have tried the Fat Wrench and they did work as advertised.
Charlie1022
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Thank you, Charlie. That's what I ended up with because I don't possess your particular skillset!

I can mix up saltwater more often than not to a certain specific gravity by eyeing the volumes but I do that almost every day. Still, I have a refractometer to back me up and confirm! Some of these creatures that I work with are just too sensitive to fluctuations in chemistry parameters for guessing. Torque specs on certain items are probably just as crucial.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

I do not recall ever seeing recommended torque for screws posted for guns or scopes. Note that the torque would be in inch pounds, not foot pounds based on the size of the items being torqued. Where did you find a chart on recommended torque? This information would be good to share with everyone. Note that different companies may recommend different torque for their products based on the quality of their products.
Charlie1022
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I bought mine for a water pump as indicated earlier. The impeller wouldn't spin properly on the ceramic shaft of the pump without those specs being just so. The screws that I was working needed 40 in/lbs which I had no reference to or feel for other than with the wrench.

I just pulled a newer 10/22 manual, B 5/17 R30. On page 32 it lists 12-15 in/lbs as appropriate for the scope base adapter. A quick google search for Ruger Torque specs brings up a ton of hits. From the action screw on an M77 to the 10/22 and on to bases and ring specs from other companies.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I have worked on some things that require very precise torque such as high speed blowers and pumps. When you have a 96 inch fan spinning at 1750 rpm it has to be lined up perfectly and secured properly.... One flying through the side of a hull or rolling down a plant floor would not be fun or good to have to explain... I am waiting on a pump that a "paper engineer" at work aligned using a set of plastic calipers and a $.99 torpedo level to blow both the pump and motor... Then I will offer to align it correctly.... Until then it will grind away until it gives out... Sometimes you just keep your mouth shut and nod your head until they realize they are wrong.... Then you fix it properly so someone else can take the credit!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...