Biulding custom 10/22's

Charlie1022

Biulding custom 10/22's

Post by Charlie1022 »

Who else enjoys building up special 10/22's? I have built up several different ones over the years for different types of shooting. The first thing I like to doo is a good trigger job with bolt release. I have several set up like golf clubs for different types of shooting with fire sights, red dot sights to target guns with target scopes. I even modified a finger groove sporter to increase the length of pull to better fit me for action shooting and put a red dot sight on it. With just one action and a few minutes you can transform one gun into many different types of shooting need by just changing the stock, barrel and sights. I even have one of the gatling guns set up that is fun to shoot.
Charlie1022
Charlie1022
Highstandardguy

Re: Biulding custom 10/22's

Post by Highstandardguy »

My modest examples. Just for fun.

Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Very nice assortment Highstandardguy! I have tinkered with a few 10/22's to make them more suited for different things. Put a stainless action & barrel in an International stock to make a nice rifle. Also put a BX22 trigger in one of the Walmart special 10/22 stainless rifles with the 22" barrel. That is a very decent setup. Lot of things you can do to make them your own!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Watertender wrote:Very nice assortment Highstandardguy! I have tinkered with a few 10/22's to make them more suited for different things. Put a stainless action & barrel in an International stock to make a nice rifle. Also put a BX22 trigger in one of the Walmart special 10/22 stainless rifles with the 22" barrel. That is a very decent setup. Lot of things you can do to make them your own!
You beat me to it, can't get any better than a stainless steel RSI in walnut. I do like some of the things I've seen on Rimfirecentral, but mostly eye candy, nothing I'd ever try to do.
Highstandardguy

The one on the left is the only one I have that has a plastic trigger assembly. Trigger was terrible. Rather than reward Ruger for making a bad trigger by buying the BX22, I opted for a VQ hammer. It was a considerable improvement and cheaper. I'm really big on cheap.
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

The Military Carbine you made up would look good with a BX15 or BX25 magazine or even a BX25x2. The 10/22 takedown is nice to keep in a vehicle for a "You Just Might Need It" rifle. I like tinkering with my stuff to make it into something my own.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Highstandardguy

For reference here are the three on the right as I received them.

Watertender

Post by Watertender »

If you do something to a rifle to make it suit your purpose then it is customized for your needs. If you buy the parts or make them it's up to you. Retail on a new basic 10/22 Carbine is $309 in Blue or $339 for Stainless..... You buy a barrel or stock or trigger you like or perhaps all 3. Maybe you are a good woodworker and do something to a stock. Could be you are a decent machinist and fine tune the innards.... It's what you want to do or not do to something that belongs to you.
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Bakebfr480 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 6:43 pm Building or replacing components? Anybody can change parts so please don't confuse that with actually building a custom rifle! Nuff said!
Please explain exactly what constitutes a "custom" rifle (or any firearm).
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

According to Webster....

cus·tom·ize

/ˈkəstəˌmīz/

verb

modify (something) to suit a particular individual or task.

Therefore, the above rifles have been "customized"