Biulding custom 10/22's

RoninPA

Re: Biulding custom 10/22's

Post by RoninPA »

You didn't answer my questions, you tried to deflect it. So, to humor you, I did google "custom rifle builders guild"

Well I didn't find anything under "custom rifle builders guild" but I did find the American Custom Gunmakers Guild and perused the site a bit. From what pictures I saw of the "customized" firearms, all the builders started with a STOCK firearm and then enhanced (or customized) said STOCK firearm. The ACGG even defined a custom firearm: "What is a custom firearm? It’s simple: a firearm painstakingly made to your order and specifications." So to me, the above 10/22's ARE custom firearms for the people that bought the stock 10/22 and then made them to their specifications

If you think that a customized firearm has to have a hand built stock, be engraved, have the barrel hand made and cost big bucks and only be done by someone belonging to a guild, you are sorely mistaken. If a gun owner modifies one of their firearms to suit them, then they have "customized it to fit their specifications". Get off your high horse, you're acting like some kind of a snob. Nuff said!
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Yes, actually it does make it a custom built rifle, as the builder is building (customizing) a rifle to fit their personal wants, requirements and specifications. No different than a person buying a Remington 700 and sending it to a ACGG custom rifle builder to have it customized (modified) to their wants, requirement and specifications.

Exactly where does it say a customized rifle has to be sent to someone else to do the work? Are you saying that a custom firearm can't be built by a gun owner to be something that the owner wants? Does a "custom" firearm have to cost a certain amount of money to be considered "custom" made, or that someone can't "customize" a working man's firearm by removing what they don't want and replacing it with items that fit their personality/wants/needs? Custom firearms don't have to have fancy engraving (some people actually don't like engraved firearms) or a hand made barrel or a receiver modified to fit a one off wildcat cartridge that someone came up it. Customization is modifying a firearm to suit the person, not to suit someone else.

Remember: Customize means to make according to personal specifications. Add a scope to an open sighted rifle - you have just customized the rifle to your specifications, thus making a custom rifle.

So please don't denigrate someone that wants to customize their firearm, no matter what it is or how much it cost, or what they are going to do to it. Just because it is not fancifully engraved with a hand made barrel and an action that has been modified to accept a loudenboomen-3000 cartridge, it is still a custom (by definition) rifle to the owner.

Now, if you want discuss a custom engraved, or custom barreled, or custom built receiver, or custom action, or custom stock firearm, feel free, we'll know what you are talking about, lots of Ruger owners have sent their guns off to have these types of things done to their guns. But don't look down on folks that do their own customizing on their firearms, even if it is only replacing the original stock with an aftermarket stock that fits them better and allows them the potential of their firearm. Maybe, just maybe, it is all they can afford.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

Very well said Ron!!!!!!
Charlie1022
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I am going to make a custom ordered 480 Blibbet. You start with a stock manure spreader prefereably a well used one to give it character. Then you overfill it and let it set to ferment. After it's all finised rotting you put 10 pounds of it in a 5 pound sack..... I think it may have a market.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...