extractor problems with a No. 3

parkerizer

extractor problems with a No. 3

Post by parkerizer »

I've got a No.3 in 45-70 that I got about 4 years ago. It was made in 75 but was unfired. It's had less than 100 rds through it and has gotten to where it won't eject. When I slowly close the action you can see the ejector slide under the rim of the cartridge and when you open the action it retracts without catching the rim. Could it possibly be the extractor or another problem. I did have a problems with it extracting instead of ejecting and tightened the screw and that problem was fixed but I can't see how it would have anything to do with this problem if it's not even catching the rim.
zebra55

Re: extractor problems with a No. 3

Post by zebra55 »

Had the problem in the past with my No 1s..replaced the extractor.
You should first disassemble and inspect it to see if there is anything obvious. Great video on disassembling the No 1 (no 3 is the same) on the Ruger website. If nothing stands out from the inspection, I would get new extractor from Ruger, Brownells or Numerich. Or you can send it back to Ruger for repair if your not comfortable with working on it yourself.
In my case, the extractor was finicky about ammunition. It would not catch the rim on some of the 243 casings. I chalked it up to simple tolerance stack up in the gun. the replacement extractor solved the issue...
parkerizer

Re: extractor problems with a No. 3

Post by parkerizer »

Thanks for the answer. The lady that I talked to at Ruger told me that they no longer work on or stock parts for the No.3. Luckily I ordered a extractor from Numrich last year and still have it. I'm going to try what you said. It's very interesting to know that the internals of the 1 and 3 are the same. I'd wondered. Thanks a lot for the response and for the info. It's quickly become my favorite rifle and It being out of order has been driving me crazy.