Super Single-Six Question & info

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
JAYDAWG

Super Single-Six Question & info

Post by JAYDAWG »

Picked up an unconverted SC6 yesterday at a pawn shop made in 1970. Only the 22LR cylinder came with it. Were ALL the Super Single-Sixes convertibles??

As I was leaving the guys says "I think I have a box for that, you want it?" SURE DO!!
I get it home and it looks like the box is actually a return kit sent by Ruger to ship the gun
back to them and have the transfer bar installed. There is an information sheet The Ruger
"Old Model" conversion kit (4 pages) It is dated 4/82. A sheet on shipping instructions and
even the unused shipping label to Ruger. It looks like the factory was very busy
doing these. See where they crossed off weeks and hand wrote in months!
Maybe that's why the owner never sent it in to be converted?!?!?!

Cheers,
JAY
Attachments
SAM_0832.JPG
SAM_0833.JPG
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
RocDoc

Re: Super Single-Six Question & info

Post by RocDoc »

What did you pay? Like to know to haggle with shops around me
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

RocDoc wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:35 pm What did you pay? Like to know to haggle with shops around me
I offered him $200 + $350 for a New Vacaro and ended up giving $600 for both AND a mag for a 521 Remington!! :D

Cheers,
JAY
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Congrats Jay on a really nice find, having the box and letter is good to see, unfortunately alot of the items that shows the history on a lot of the firearms didn't stay with them. Sounds like you got a deal on three Vaquero too, thanks for sharing.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Thanks Bennett,
It's always fun to discover something new and learn about it.
SO......
Were ALL the Super Single-Sixes convertibles??

Cheers,
JAY
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Jay, I had to pull out some books from John Dougan and do a bit of research. The main and major difference in the Single Six and the Super is the flattop cylinder frame and adjustable rear sights on the Super. Someone chime in if I'm wrong but from what I understand the majority of the X guns were fitted with two cylinders where the SC4, 5, and 6 were not. The main exception being mid-68-69 when the SC6 .22WRM model was added to the line. After 69, the majority were again sent with two cylinders probably making yours an SC6-X. I believe that your 60 prefix gun would have had two cylinders with the magnum being the primary and the .22 LR the auxiliary.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I bid 3 cans of sardines, a can of baked beans, a trapdoor union suit, a set of muck boots, a new Bird and Trout knife and a whole bag of marbles! Nice addition to your Ruger stable Jay!!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Cirrhitidae wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:30 am Jay, I had to pull out some books from John Dougan and do a bit of research. The main and major difference in the Single Six and the Super is the flattop cylinder frame and adjustable rear sights on the Super. Someone chime in if I'm wrong but from what I understand the majority of the X guns were fitted with two cylinders where the SC4, 5, and 6 were not. The main exception being mid-68-69 when the SC6 .22WRM model was added to the line. After 69, the majority were again sent with two cylinders probably making yours an SC6-X. I believe that your 60 prefix gun would have had two cylinders with the magnum being the primary and the .22 LR the auxiliary.
Thanks, Chuck.
I appreciate the research and info.
I need to add to my library.
Hopefully my shop/space will be back up and running
by the first of June. What I do have is in a shipping container :x

Cheers,
JAY
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Watertender wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:38 am I bid 3 cans of sardines, a can of baked beans, a trapdoor union suit, a set of muck boots, a new Bird and Trout knife and a whole bag of marbles! Nice addition to your Ruger stable Jay!!
Thanks WT,
I have it all covered EXCEPT the trapdoor union suit, which I have NO INTEREST IN !!!
Cheers,
JAY
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

THERE ARE ONLY 200 SC4 (4 5/8") AND ALL ARE DUAL CYLINDER . RARE SUPER SINGLE SIXES INDEED. 8-)