Duplicate Serial # OM Single Six

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
CPHarrison70

Duplicate Serial # OM Single Six

Post by CPHarrison70 »

Hello All! I would like some advice from you more knowledgeable folks. I have a chance to buy an OM Single Six with Serial # D505XXX. This gun has fixed sights and two cylinders, but neither of the cylinders is marked with a serial number. Is there any chance that this gun would have two fitted cylinders neither of which has been marked? Any information you folks can provide would be greatly appreciated.
ROCS Member
RENE Subscriber
Whisk(e)y 'n' Wheel Guns
CPHarrison70

Re: Duplicate Serial # OM Single Six

Post by CPHarrison70 »

Just as an update: through further research I was able to determine that this gun has had the transfer bar update. I'm starting to think that its only collector value is in the "D" prefix. Any thoughts from you guys?
ROCS Member
RENE Subscriber
Whisk(e)y 'n' Wheel Guns
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

The Duplicate Single-Sixes are desirable to collectors. It is believed there were about 1,400 D marked Single-Sixes made in the group of D500000 - D505140 according to the RENE Reference Of Ruger Firearms, Volume One. These were .22 Caliber/LR single cylinder guns. Most likely someone added an extra cylinder to go with your gun. The safety kit hurts it collectors value considerably unless the original parts are still with the gun.

It would be interesting to know the complete serial number of your gun and if it falls within the range shown above.

Suggest you join the Red Eagle News Exchange (RENE), the Reference to Ruger Firearms Vol 1 and 2 contain a wealth of knowledge as do the quarterly news letters. Contact chrugers at aol.com to join and for details.

Bill
CPHarrison70

Post by CPHarrison70 »

flattop44 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:39 pm The Duplicate Single-Sixes are desirable to collectors. It is believed there were about 1,400 D marked Single-Sixes made in the group of D500000 - D505140 according to the RENE Reference Of Ruger Firearms, Volume One. These were .22 Caliber/LR single cylinder guns. Most likely someone added an extra cylinder to go with your gun. The safety kit hurts it collectors value considerably unless the original parts are still with the gun.

It would be interesting to know the complete serial number of your gun and if it falls within the range shown above.

Suggest you join the Red Eagle News Exchange (RENE), the Reference to Ruger Firearms Vol 1 and 2 contain a wealth of knowledge as do the quarterly news letters. Contact chrugers at aol.com to join and for details.

Bill
Bill, thanks so much for your reply. If I remember correctly, the Serial on the gun is D505006 which would put it within the range you mentioned. It was available for sale on the Collectors Firearms website, but when I checked back today it was gone. I had the guys at Collectors pull the gun yesterday to check the cylinders for numbering. They could find no numbers, but did verify that the gun had been "upgraded" and that there were no original parts included.

Also, a subscription to the RENE is in the works. Thanks again for your help.
ROCS Member
RENE Subscriber
Whisk(e)y 'n' Wheel Guns
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Bill:
You must have got crossed up in the reference as all the "D" guns in that block that I know of so far are convertibles.
There were actually just less than 5,000 "D" guns in that D500000 to D505xxx range. Of those, approximately 1,400 were the 5-1/2" convertible and the balance were 6-1/2" convertibles. We have yet to verify a "D" gun from this serial number block as RSS5W .22 LR only.
Chet15
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Ooooos, sorry about that.
Bill