Grip Repair

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Marksman

Grip Repair

Post by Marksman »

I have a set of Bearcat grips that has chipped wood on the inside of one grip panel. Someone over torqued the grip screw. The damage was not visible from the outside.
Is there a good way to repair that damage? Insert glue and press it back in place? I would like to find a way to make the original grips work. They do hold on to the gun o.k. now, but I think it will be a matter of time when they become loose. Mike
flattop44

Re: Grip Repair

Post by flattop44 »

Yep, you have the right idea. Put some good epoxy in the crack and press together. That will usually fix them up.
FT44
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

Thanks so much. Mike
contender

Post by contender »

A few days late to this,,, but I'll offer a bit of advice.

I use a small birds feather,, to apply a good wood glue into the small cracks of a broken screw hole insert. Next, I take a piece of tape, over the repair, then I use both halves, a fender washer, and a grip spacer to screw it all together & let the pressure of that compress things back into place. Used sparingly, the glue will get compressed into the cracks, then come out under the tape. The flat fender washer allows things to be applied evenly,, when the spacer & screw are used to compress things.
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Great ideas Contender. Marksman, also the use of a spacer between the panels when installing the repaired grips back on your gun will keep the repair in good shape and prevent a future pull through.
FT44
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

Contender, Flattop44,
Thank you for the great input. I am making copies of your suggestions. After our move, I will look forward to these fun projects. Thanks so much again. Mike
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

Is there (or should there) be a "How to" board. These are great instructions that would benefit many members if they are looking for ways to fix things.