My Ruger Corp Collection

All Ruger Tools
radicalrod

Re: My Ruger Corp Collection

Post by radicalrod »

Well you need a couple of screw drivers too....GOOD START seems they are getting harder to find....RR
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Rod, you are correct and I'm always looking! I will find many of the variations over time and hope to accumulate the majority. I was fortunate to be able to examine what I consider to be the most complete private collection of these tools last year. It was quite inspiring.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Working from home today which allows me to multi-task. So, here's the 1010 Brace. Well used and not what some would call "Minty".
Attachments
IMG_1026.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1027.JPG
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Rarity sometimes helps override condition. Great score!!
Bill
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Question.
Were these tool made pre gun making for sale or are these tools used in the making of
the early guns???

JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

When Bill Ruger formed The Ruger Corp. he was already planning to make what at the time would be his automatic pistol and later become known as the Standard. Tools were probably made from 46-49. Alexander Sturm would later help him make the guns and the firearms company a reality in 1949. In The Ruger Papers by Don Findley there is a letter shown from 1945 written by Bill talking about an application for an automatic pistol but the first parts orders for the pistol grip drills didn't come about until 1946. The Ruger Corporation was solely owned by Bill and the tools were very high quality. So well made that they were not competitive price wise on the markets of the day and the company didn't do well. Alex turned all that around.
Today, the tools are highly collectible. They were not used in the manufacture of any firearms that I am aware of although some of the housings ordered in both left and right handed halves for the pistol grip drills might have been used in the production of the first Ruger Automatics.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Ronaldwayne29

Post by Ronaldwayne29 »

I have this ruger from aroind the time of 1946-1949
radicalrod

Post by radicalrod »

Ronaldwayne29 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:15 pm I have this ruger from aroind the time of 1946-1949
SWEET what is the serial number.....your among friends it OK to list it.....my earliest gun is 0059....RR
chet15

Post by chet15 »

That 1010 looks like it is in pretty good shape!
There are two different variations of the 1010 drill as well.... fully knurled or half-knurled chuck.
Chet15
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

radicalrod wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:49 pm
Ronaldwayne29 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:15 pm I have this ruger from aroind the time of 1946-1949
SWEET what is the serial number.....your among friends it OK to list it.....my earliest gun is 0059....RR
I heard Radical Rod bought that one new with money he made at $.05 an hour. He hoed tomatoes for 2 years to earn the money and paid in nickels!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...