Ruger serial number look up discrepancy

RoninPA

Ruger serial number look up discrepancy

Post by RoninPA »

Went to the s/n lookup - www.ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/ and entered a serial number I wanted to see what it showed. Got a bit of a suprise.

The s/n I entered 150-00046 came up as:

Model # 01501
Product Line SINGLE SIX
Caliber 357 Mag
In Production No
Shipped In 1972
Instruction Manuals
New Model Single-Six®
New Model Single-Six® - SSM
Old Model Single-Six® (Manufactured from 1953 to 1973)

Well this information is WRONG

It is a Model # 1501 but that model is actually a:

Catalog number: RDA-34
Product Line: (Should be) Security Six
Caliber: .357 Magnum
In Production: No
Shipped in: 1972 (possible but I don't think this is correct either but I have a Letter in the works right now)
Instruction Manuals: (Should be) Security Six

I called Ruger Customer Service and when I gave the nice lady the serial number she looked it up and it came back with the correct info (RDA-34, etc.). She said that maybe it was because it was part of the Single Six production line and that is why it got entered like that. I expressed my doubts but I don't think she could do anything about it.

I then tried looking up higher 150- serial numbers and got a "could not find". Entered 150-00500 and it came up as a Single Six. Any number above 150-00500, including the 151 and above s/n's cam back as "could not find".

So just beware, info might not be correct when you try it.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
chet15

Re: Ruger serial number look up discrepancy

Post by chet15 »

Be aware also that Ruger's serial number page is only able to access serial numbers that were entered into Ruger's system by "digital" means. If it wasn't shipped from the early 1980's or later you will be S.O.L.
By the way RoninPA, if you were able to get into that lot with the three guns that included 150-00046 you got a great deal!!
Lots of good deals in that auction, including a BKH47 that sold for $600!!!
Chet15
RoninPA

Re: Ruger serial number look up discrepancy

Post by RoninPA »

Chad, I did get the Security Six, GP100 and SP101 serial number 46. Great adds for both my Six series and GP100 collections. And a good start if I delve into the SP101's (I think I have 4 now) :D
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron