Article for Vaquero Style Single-Sixes

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros,
and New Vaqueros.
chet15

Article for Vaquero Style Single-Sixes

Post by chet15 »

Well, with the introduction of the Wrangler revolver, we are betting that demand for Ruger's other .22 revolver models will take a serious hit, and believe the Vaquero style Single Six is probably on the endangered list within the next year or two.
So, I am beginning extensive work on an article on these.
One of the biggest quandaries, since so few of these are seen these days, is that we would like to get a closer serial number change of when Ruger moved the "SOUTHPORT" address to the bottom of the barrel, when the NEWPORT address was begun with the word "NEWPORT" in a much larger font than the rest of the rollmark, and when Ruger went to the NEWPORT address with the word NEWPORT in the same size font as the rest of the address. These changes all took place in a very small window between 268-50793 and 268-54905. The changes wouldn't be that big a deal except the rare NR4FL is spread out over those three varieties by only around 450 examples.
If anybody has ANY MODEL of fixed sight Vaquero style Single-Six between 268-50793 and 268-54905, please contact chet15 at CHRugers@aol.com
Thanks!!
Chet15
Ironhawk

Re: Article for Vaquero Style Single-Sixes

Post by Ironhawk »

Just a little info, I have seen a rise of old model and new flooding market sence the release of wranglers , couple of guys I now want a 22 mag version so they baught new and old single sixes, one has even gone as far as to get everyone available that Ruger offered, could it be a ploy of Ruger to push people to invest in a more expensive gun. It worked on me and my friends. Food for thought.
chet15

Post by chet15 »

If I have enough space in the upcoming November RENE I'll be doing the article on Vaquero style Single-Sixes. If you previously contacted me about adding information to this article with serial number examples you have, please throw those by me again so I can be sure the info is included.
I am particularly interested in the blue locking models in the 268-50xxx to 268-55xxx range.
I would also like to better pinpoint the change from carbon steel hammer with blue front and back to a stainless hammer, as well as the change from the carbon steel trigger with blue front and back to a stainless hammer. And of course a better changeover point for the change from rollmarked frame and serial number to lasered frame and serial number.
Lots of neat info coming in this article!!
Chet15
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Neat info, indeed, Chad!
Really enjoyed reading your article. With only one model still in production it will be interesting to see what the Company does with the FS 22 Sixes going forward considering that the Wrangler is LR only and 22 WMR is a popular round. Perhaps a magnum only version? I imagine the FS 32 Sixes will remain to fill the SASS niche.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Great article Chad, got my RENE a couple of days ago and I'm not into collecting the Vaqueros but really enjoyed a very extensive and informative read. Thanks for sharing.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.