Ruger Prices

Anything Ruger related.
dkdeuel

Ruger Prices

Post by dkdeuel »

Please bear with me,

I'm a newbie to collecting and buying used guns. I've picked up a copy of Fjestad's Guide and I've joined RENE, but I'm having trouble getting my head around the differences between what the guides say a firearm is worth and what I see on sites like Gun Broker, the guides seem to be way low, what am I missing? EX: today I looked at some M77 MkII .257 Roberts on Gun Broker, none of them came within $250 of the Blue Book price on a 100% gun.
Piranha451

Re: Ruger Prices

Post by Piranha451 »

I have noticed that the Blue Book always has lower values for what firearms are actually getting. I think they are geared more for what a dealer would/should offer as a trade in or an actual buy so that they can get a fair profit when they price it to be sold.
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Plus if you spend much time on GB you will come to the conclusion that prices asked are more often than not laughable. Still, if you watch enough some good deals can be found.
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

I consider the guides just that "guides", the only true way to know the current values is to watch a lot of guns sale. Not asking price but actual sales prices but you do at times find them for a great deal like RocDoc said.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
dkdeuel

Post by dkdeuel »

Thank you all, that clears it up well for me and gives me a starting point for some buys. I think I've done OK so far, I've overpaid on one, but it was acceptable (a .41 Mag. Flat Top-perfect 98%+), and I almost felt guilty about a couple of others that I got "LOW" prices on. Where should I be looking besides Gun Broker?
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

guns international
Poulin auction
rock island auction
amoskeag auction
guns america
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

If you have a recent copy of the BBGV, closely read the How to Use This Book section and the Foreword (my 2018 edition has a good section titled Why don't Some Guns Go Up In Value - it gives a great explanation ). The How To Use also explains how the prices are set and how they get the info. Also, as said, don't look at asking prices on auction sites, look at the completed auctions (that have actually been bid on,) but not the ones that closed with no bids (zero bids will also tell you something about pricing).

Also realize that gun prices vary widely depending on where in the US you reside and the BBGV takes that into consideration, it is an average value and is not weighed to any specific area. As a FFL I use the BBGV along with other resources to determine gun values in my area.

The Rugers I got from the recent Poulin auction were, for me, purchased at a good price. I knew (pretty much) what they were probably worth, especially for me. For some it might have been a great price, for others, they may think I overpaid.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Great advice Ron, and I feel it also needs to be said that if you feel you got a good buy and your goal is not to turn profit but to enjoy than I feel you should be happy with what you paid. Different factors play into how each individual values each firearm, I would be willing to bet that all of us have certain firearms that they wouldn't sell. If your in the market for short term profit (quick flip) or long term profit (collecting) I'd avise spending a lot of time watching sells and studying to know factors that increase value on each model of firearm that your interested in.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

So,
What Ron and Bennett are saying is correct.
For me that means a gun is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
A year from now, will you miss the money more.....or the gun? ;)

Just my 2 cents worth.
Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

The "whatever a guy is willing to pay" view is also flawed in some cases. I had someone willing to give over $1000 for a 44Blackhawk once, only to find out he couldn't pass a NICS check anyway...

Another experience had a buyer unwilling to spend over $350 for an as-new Security Six in unfired condition...

So I fall back on what my insurance agent says: blue book values, and a five minute check of Fair Auction (no reserve) selling prices. Takeaway: replacement cost.
:o It is a Right, NOT a permit.
Political Correctness = Political Submission :oops: