44 F.T. 7.5"

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Marksman

44 F.T. 7.5"

Post by Marksman »

I was at a gunshow in Idaho today and was ready to buy a nice looking 44 Flattop with a 7.5" barrel. The serial number was 26XXX. The gun looked very nice, but the entire grip frame color looked more like a dark grey rather then a black that matches the rest of the gun. I assumed the grip frame was either re-blued or didn't belong to this gun. Either way killing the collectors value. Did I miss an opportunity or is this "mix n match" or re-blue job a thing to watch out for at gun shows? Love to hear everyone's opinion on that.
Doc4429

Re: 44 F.T. 7.5"

Post by Doc4429 »

There are members with more expertise, but over the years I have seen a few original aluminum grip frames that have a duller or gray appearance. One of my FTs with a 10-inch barrel, shipped in August 1959, is one of them. The grip frames are polished and then blackened using perhaps an anodizing process. The remainder of the revolver is blued steel and will look different. You may have seen what is a scarce, but normal variation in the manufacturing process.

Bill
Mike722

Post by Mike722 »

I agree..I've noticed that the later f lattops (after 59) have a more gray appearance overall, compared to the jet black of the early ones..
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

Thanks for your input. I just thought that the dark grey finish of the grip frame looked too different from the rest of the gun. I maybe still able to pick up that gun at a different show but don't want to move on it until I know more.
I was hoping that some of our expert 44 collectors may chime in on these observations.
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Grip frames will be seen in different shades of gray/black, especially the last of the XR3 and earliest of the XR3-RED. Just look at how the color is consistent over the entire grip frame... could be the way the anodation came out, or if it has wear on the grip frame, the lighter color will be in "high traffic" area of the grip frame.
Ruger's blue was always more consistent... dark gray on most of the old models and black on the new models.
Chet15
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

I agree, I have received a good deal of similar input. If I see the gun at the next show again, I will make an offer. Thanks so much.