James Kritz Lithographs

remcclellen

James Kritz Lithographs

Post by remcclellen »

I have tried for years to find info on the James Kritz cutaway lithographs produced for Ruger of their long guns.

I would like to know:

When were they done?
How many were done?
Are they of any collector interest?
LIBERTY FOREVER

Re: James Kritz Lithographs

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

James Kritz was an award winning, accomplished sculpture, photographer, illustrator and designer. Among his awards are '1970 'Grand National' winner at the Industrial Technical Art Exhibit' and 'Best of Show' for Continuous Tone-Industrial Arts Methods. He worked for Raymond Lowey and Walter Dorwin Teague Associates. I believe Sturm Ruger commissioned him to paint cross sections of all their firearms. The prints you reference are often found on Ebay under 'Shoulder Arms' collection and should be signed and numbered XXX of 500. Included are the 'Over-Under Shotgun', 'Mini-14 Auto-loading Rifle', the 'No. 1 Single Shot Rifle' and the 'M-77 Bolt Action Rifle'. The are 12" x 19" in size on heavy framed matte paper.
I have no idea how to tell a fake from an original. I have a set myself and they are very detailed and most suitable for framing. Currently there are three sets for sale numbers #256, #415 and a unlisted numbered item. They can be purchased for around $100 to $150 depending on condition and inclusion of original folder, paperwork, etc. The above information is pulled from my prints and not from a S&R history or literary piece. I would add that I don't believe he did anymore lithos outside of the long guns. Others with more information will surely add to my post. Hope this helps.
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
remcclellen

Post by remcclellen »

The info you posted seems to be the same as the info I have with my set. The curious thing about my set is that they are neither numbered nor signed. Adding to the mystery is the fact that mine contains five lithographs. It also includes the 96/44

Thanks for your reply
remcclellen

Post by remcclellen »

I should have checked my PM list. There is a set identical to mine on eBay currently

The set that I have came to me about 7-8 years ago from a total stranger who just handed them to me as we were assembling before a Cowboy Action match. He actually gave me two sets, but I thanked him for his generosity and suggested that he offer the second set to another shooter He walked away and I never saw him again