Early Ivory Grips???

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Doc4429

Early Ivory Grips???

Post by Doc4429 »

These grips came on a 44 I acquired several months ago. Based on the type of Ruger medallions (dull) and their placement, I assumed they were made up. However, after reading the information about early ivory panels in the thread on Single Six #22, I thought I would post a picture of the grips and see what the experts had to offer. They are shown below.

Bill

Hawkeye28

Re: Early Ivory Grips???

Post by Hawkeye28 »

Very first generation ivory with first gen emblems..............non dished area on backside without panel ID number. location of emblems later changed......I would buy if in your circumstances and be proud.......Reverse: Someone may have made these but I do not think so.......Panels were 15 dollars at intro... and if one wished to duplicate, why place the early emblems in the wrong position. Perhaps Rugerguy will kibitz on this........ 8-)
JussBad

Post by JussBad »

Bill
I like them and always thought there could be a possibility that they were early Ruger ivories. Yours look an awful lot like the 2 pair pictured below. No dished area with penciled numbers...and early medallions. It would be interesting to know when Ruger went from early "satin" medallions to when they placed their first order for the "shiny" medallions. I'm sure there will be a great discussion here. Either way you have a fine pair of ivories.
chet15

Post by chet15 »

I'm sorry to have to say this... but the hobby has now authenticated absolutely every pair of stag and ivory grip panels as being factory as long as they have medallions in them. I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there who will chastise that statement, but there doesn't seem to be any deniability for such grips any longer.
That's OK though... buy them if you like them.

Here's a nice set that will show up in a collection some day... never mind the post '66 medallion in the one panel or the blue escutcheons, all easily changed...
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... 10911#lg-6

Here's another set that sold on a gun for a really good price if they are factory. I don't see any counterbores around the medallion stem on the backside, but irregardless, somebody got a free gun and extra equity on this deal! Curious why there was only one bidder.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/842133352
Chet15
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

Well...........I would not seek purchase on #! as they did not appear correct. I had #2 on my watch list and did not bid as I was suspect of the build and did not like the gun because of wear factors........Will add one more issue/perspective and historical fact. during the early 1980's, Steve Vogel was sent by WBR to the west coast to advise a "maker" to stop making phony XR3 stag and ivory grip panels. "Or, suffer serious legal issues....." Further, I do believe the panels on SN 14 were real as I and Lynn Laudise took them off the gun when it was part of the RCA auction, when it was offered by Vogel for bidding. This was the Hatcher gun and was written up in the American Rifleman Dope Bag. That is all,........for now. 8-)
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

Bill, I'm certainly no expert but i've seen my share of BAD ones. I would purchase sets that have the appearance and traits like yours all day every day. As Chet and J-Bad said if'nn you "likem Buy'em" I was the sole bidder on the the .44 FT that Chet mentions above. Like
Hawkeye I was skeptical on the revolvers condition. However I feel there is enough equity in the grips that I can put some wood grips on the .44 FT and punch her down the road as a shooter. No risk No reward,,,or as my Father would say, Your Risk Your Loss,,,, :oops:

Here's another set that sold on a gun for a really good price if they are factory. I don't see any counterbores around the medallion stem on the backside, but irregardless, somebody got a free gun and extra equity on this deal! Curious why there was only one bidder.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/842133352
Chet15
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Yeah... I believe the #14 ivories came on #14 as well.
Chet15