Robbing medallions off MKIV grips?

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
RocDoc

Robbing medallions off MKIV grips?

Post by RocDoc »

Replaced the plastic grips on a MkIV, is it possible to remove medallions to be able to use them elsewhere? Can't tell how attached.
Fox Mike

Re: Robbing medallions off MKIV grips?

Post by Fox Mike »

Find a punch that is the size of the inside of the medallion and place the grip on a rolled ;up towel and GENTLY tap and push the medallion from the back. They will come out. I have used them on other installations with no problem.I drill the holes with a brad point drill bit of the correct size as the OD of the medallion. I install them using clear RTV. never a problem.
This is one:

Here are two more:
Frank
Retired: 67Z5M
NRA
Maryland Shall Issue
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

I have taken them out of various sets of grips by "drilling" the staked ears off the medallion stake on the inside very gently with the correct size drill bit. They will then press out easily. Then glue them in the next set without having to enlarge the existing hole if you removed a set from them.

FT44.
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Fox Mike wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:13 am Find a punch that is the size of the inside of the medallion and place the grip on a rolled ;up towel and GENTLY tap and push the medallion from the back. They will come out. I have used them on other installations with no problem.I drill the holes with a brad point drill bit of the correct size as the OD of the medallion. I install them using clear RTV. never a problem.
Do you use 1/2" brad point bit for 1/2" medallions? How do you keep holes from getting ragged edges? Thought about 7/16" and Dremel the last bit? Seems like a bit stop should be used also? Got a cheap set of grips that don't fit well I can practice on.
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

RocDoc, get one of the drill bit gauges so you can get the right size bit. I use a drill press so I can set the depth and depending on the type of wood and sharpness of the bit play a factor on on the smoothness of the hole, just take your time and you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
contender

Post by contender »

I only rob grip medallions off broken grip panels. If I need others,, (like mentioned off the MKIV,) I'd just order some from Ruger.
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

contender wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:34 am I only rob grip medallions off broken grip panels. If I need others,, (like mentioned off the MKIV,) I'd just order some from Ruger.
CS will sell $4 singles