New here, old Ruger scrounger

hittman

Re: New here

Post by hittman »

just keep clicking "forgot password" to bypass the CAPTCHA

This above has worked for several others, including myself.

Will it work for you? Can't say but know it don't cost anything to try.

Good luck.
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

Its been tried. :?:

Here it is, for posterity:
Tried to get logged in on a new device. Tried TWO times with known passwords. Then I closed the browser (Firefox).
Then tried to login using my device that has "direct" login, as it always automatically opens for me.
The message came up that I had exceeded attempts, and I needed to solve recaptcha, AND " enter the words below".
Oh yeah, the email I used to register in 2004 is long gone. I know I changed it years ago, but it apparently didn't "stick". Que Sera Sera.
- There is no recaptcha feature and there is no phrase below. Stick a fork in it.

Now, An IT friend (who makes a good living solving website issues and chat board problems and knows phpBB very well) suggested maybe an admin bought n installed a bootleg / discount version of recaptcha (common) and upon expiration it locked the function and removed it from the phpBB version the board runs with... Someone bought/subscribed to Recaptcha, who?

Also, several long gone-or deceased Admins are listed as active, and (according to him) the software wasn't provided with a work around to change Admins without the consent of one of those long gone persons. The net message I get is a closed forum, as no new members can register in its present state. His recommendations include buying the domain and resubscibing to phpBB and if really needed, a valid version of recaptcha. (not cheap).
Who knows? I used to know the software admin's name that Carl (flatgate) had, but without being logged in, one cannot see it. Of course we lost Carl nearly two years ago. :(

If I were king...

But as I said, this is a great board. I just hope that forum gets it worked out. I'll help anyway I can if asked.
:o It is a Right, NOT a permit.
Political Correctness = Political Submission :oops:
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

Thank you for the detailed explanation, I've been at a loss myself for sometime with the same issues. When we spoke last i was operating just fine on the forum and was sure I could assist you. Several months later I was in the same boat. After following your post and discussing your thoughts with IT personnel in military/security personnel your on track. I hope someone steps in and cleans it up, i enjoyed it as well.
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

Thanks Gene,
Weeks and months go by but no admin has replied no help.

I see the domain owner has posted the rugerforum.com for sale. Maybe its doomed, maybe not.
jimbo1096

Post by jimbo1096 »

Mohavesam, Liberty Forever, hittman
Sam, I'm in the same boat as you are. Been trying to get back on at rugerforum.com but no luck. It's been 6 months or so. I was able to do the password route and changed it from my cell phone but then went back to the laptop and no luck. Came up with the "logged in to many attempts" note. Them the cell wouldn't work either, same message. Also it no longer gives me the "forgot password" link so I have no options but to read but not contribute. Had a couple of karmas and some stuff to sell but ain't gonna happen now. I give up until they get the forum's act together. Too bad because I really enjoyed it over there.
Jim H.
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

HEY NOW! I got a "no reply" email from rugerforum today, with password help instructions after hitting the (new) "contact admin" feature in the login track. - So I replied, with the chronology of issues as I encountered them... yada yada...

I then received a three-page text including pages of code, which set off red flags in my anti-virus and malware protection. WTF.

--DO NOT OPEN ANY EMAILS YOU MIGHT RECEIVE FROM "do not reply @ RUGERFORUM.COM--

That forum is seriously contaminated and my laptop (which is Boeing and Lockheed connected) is listing it as having at least 1000 trackers with re-direct capability!

Stick a fork in that once-great forum. It is seriously out-of-control and appears dangerous now.
SteveRuger

Post by SteveRuger »

Welcome!
I enjoy it over here. Hope you do also.
Steve
GUN COLLECTORS.......Stewards of America's Firearms Heritage!
God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers!
If1hitU

Post by If1hitU »

Hello from the Bluegrass State. 8-)
Mohavesam

Re: New here, old Ruger scrounger

Post by Mohavesam »

I do enjoy the content (and reliability) of this forum and website. 8-)
flattop44

Re: New here, old Ruger scrounger

Post by flattop44 »

We are sure happy that you joined us and really appreciate your participation and posts!!
Bill