Obtaining Ruger Letters

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
Tenpoint

Obtaining Ruger Letters

Post by Tenpoint »

What is the best way to request a letter from Ruger these days?
Is there a standard format to a response letter from them or do you need to request that certain information be specified in the letter?
Also, what form of payment do they take? (check, money order or credit card number)

I ask because it seems like Mr. Findley and a few others get back letters with nice descriptions and detailed shipping information. The letters I receive, all regarding old Flatties, are brief; just a model number and a ship date with no destination info. In several cases the records were not available (I have since sold those guns).

I ask because I am getting ready to request letters for the balance of my collection, including 2 BKH47s (25699 and 17891) and a BKH46 (29594) with an XR3-RED grip like the one described a couple of newletters ago. Unfortunately this last one has been our "shooter" gun left at the farm for varmints and such and shows some wear. It had nice aftermarket grips on it when I bought it, stills does. Always thought that was why it felt different in the hand...

As always, thank you for your expertise!
flattop44

Re: Obtaining Ruger Letters

Post by flattop44 »

You may already know how to obtain the Request Form from Ruger but in case you do not or others may want to know first go to :

The Company's website: Ruger.com
In the upper right hand corner on the Homepage click on "Menu"
Then click on "Customer Service"
Then click on "Serial Number Lookup"
Then click on "Request for Letter of Authenticity" and print off the form.

Complete the form for each firearm that you are requesting information on. Include a check or money order for $10 per gun that info is being requested.

Then if I have any specific questions I write a short concise letter to accompany the Request Form. I may ask them if at all possible to please verify such things as "a 10 inch barrel", that it shipped as a "Second", that is was "Factory Engraved", etc.

The letters that I have been getting back for sometime now show where the gun was shipped which is great information that they never put in letters until a couple of years ago.

Hope this helps.

Bill
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

TenPoint, I meant to say that they will not be able to verify that your BKH4 #29594 was shipped with a XR3-RED grip frame (at least they never have for any that I have had) but the ship date will help validate its being correct. If it letters as shipped June or July 1962 or later it is probably correct. Especially if it fits well and the anodizing on the grip frame has a uniform graying color.

Bill
Tenpoint

Post by Tenpoint »

Thanks. I'll get on it this weekend.
I'll take some pics of that grip next time I visit the farm.
Single-six

Post by Single-six »

While on the subject of factory letters, I've had a couple sent off since May 1st. I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how long it generally takes to get a reply from Ruger? Thanks for any responses. Donald...
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

These last couple of months have been unusual regarding the Ruger Letter response. I usually get about a two week turnaround. I sent in for some letters on April 4th and have not received them and they have not deposited my check. It is just my guess but I suspect that department was shut down during the COVID-19 pandemic as non-essential. I hope that they will get back up and running soon.
Bill
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

I got an email yesterday (5/21/20) from Linda at Ruger asking for some clarification for one of my requests (sent 4/20/20) so it looks like they are back up and running.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Single-six

Post by Single-six »

Thanks Ron, thats encouraging Donald...
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

That is great news Ron. Have to be on the lookout for mine.
Bill
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

I received an email from her last week in response to my enqirey regarding the status of my request submitted 2 weeks prior and she said it would be "several weeks" before they would be back in the office and processing letters.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector