Mkiii mag identification please

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
Rickkling

Mkiii mag identification please

Post by Rickkling »

Gentlemen (and ladies),

This pic was posted on a ruger enthusiast forum I belong to.
The question is identification of two different style mkiii mags
The 2 mags on the left are (I’m told) the same style mag, both sides, and the pics on the right, the same.
The question is what/why no window on the left?
DB6D5961-704C-49C8-9BB4-E1D91E57F6C8.jpeg
Thank you for your help,

Rick
Watertender

Re: Mkiii mag identification please

Post by Watertender »

Rick, try them both in a MK3 and see if they both stay in. I think the one without the window is a MK2 mag. The MK3 & MK4 have a pushbutton mag release and the window is where the latch holds it in. MK1 and MK2 are heel release mags... Make sense??
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Highstandardguy

Post by Highstandardguy »

The one on the left is a 22/45 magazine (sometimes called 22/45 MKII). The one on the right is a MKIII magazine.
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Rick, if you could show us a picture of the magazine bases it would tell us much more. The picture I posted has a Browning Buckmark magazine on the left, a regular Ruger Mark 2 magazine in the center and a Ruger Mark 3 magazine on the right. The Browning uses a push button magazine drop and the window in the front of the magazine is where the latch holds it in the magazine well. The 22/45 has a much different magazine base much like the Browning magazine. As the old saying goes, A picture is worth 1000 words.
Attachments
3 22 mags.jpg
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...