Poor man's RSSE

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros,
and New Vaqueros.
Ruger8r

Re: Poor man's RSSE

Post by Ruger8r »

Actually this is the second RSSE from this seller. I bought the first one and then he put this one up for less $$. Sheesh! A good deal and I may have to average down. Ha!
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Finally got a look at the gun today. I have to say I had expected better quality. The stainless grip frame is not finished well and there are rough spots next to the trigger guard. The wood panels also seem unfinished but that may be the look they wanted. The bluing looks okay but this one has a turn line. Feels kind of thrown together. A little disappointing.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

I understood that there were 100 of each variant........... :) I stand corrected: there were 150 of the non engraved model :D
Last edited by Hawkeye28 on Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

https://lipseysguns.com/tyler-gun-works ... exclusive/
Here is the Lipsey's web page ad for the plain, over-run guns. The French walnut grips on the engraved gun look a lot better in the ad.
I might have to get the grip frame polished, finish the panels, pick up a stainless magnum cylinder, do some action work and shoot it.
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

Carbineguy wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:23 pm https://lipseysguns.com/tyler-gun-works ... exclusive/
Here is the Lipsey's web page ad for the plain, over-run guns. The French walnut grips on the engraved gun look a lot better in the ad.
I might have to get the grip frame polished, finish the panels, pick up a stainless magnum cylinder, do some action work and shoot it.
Think I will dig into my Ruger factory XR3 stag grip panel collection and see if they will fit on the Tyler RSSE SN 28.................
UPDATE:
So much for that..........The grip locator pin in the grip frame is higher than the XR3 frame........so a trade is a no go........All of my original RSSE"s have factory stags.........Love each and every one!
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Love your original RSSEs, Hawkeye.
Since the gun has been fired a bit, I decided to bring the grips up to a level befitting it's limited status. I also couldn't abide those sharp edges. So, I knocked down some high spots, beveled those edges, did some fine sanding and rubbed-in some linseed oil. I wanted to retain some grain texture to honor the concept but bring out some light play in the grain. They do fill the hand, look nice and, in the finest Ruger tradition, don't match.
The "high polish" bueing is very nice but it doesn't look all that much better than my 6517 except in the sight channel, which is lightly polished. The grip frame is electro-penciled 170 on the right and the panels are marked in pencil.
All in all, very happy to have this fine piece. I would like to find a nice, fluted, stainless mag cylinder, preferably without the FP groove if such a thing exists. Some pics (don't know why there are 2 after):
Before
Before
After
After
After
After
Resizer_16782472893825.jpeg
Attachments
Resizer_16782473087607.jpeg