Ruger M77 .243 Mannlicher Question

Includes .44 & 10/22 Carbines; Mini-14, 30 & 6.8; Model 96 & 99/44 Deerfields; M77s; PC 4s & 9s; AC-556; MP9; XGI.
Mongo44

Ruger M77 .243 Mannlicher Question

Post by Mongo44 »

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the site and have a question or two in reference to one of my rifles. I've been a long time shooter, collector and enthusiast of all types of firearms, but my knowledge is more related to Colts, Winchesters, Brownings, etc. I've always loved the Ruger brand, but only have a total of eight of them.

That said, I'm hoping someone here might clarify something for me. I recently acquired a Ruger M77 .243 with a Mannlicher stock as a result of my brother's untimely passing, but I am considering selling the rifle as I have a slew of .243s and a few other Mannlicher-stocked rifles. Not at all familiar with the M77 line, I've learned that there are at least three iterations thereof: the "earlier" M77; the M77 Hawkeye; and the M77 Mark II.

The gun has a beautiful satin stock with checkering on both sides of the pistol grip and on each side of the for-end of the stock, although it doesn't completely wrap around from one side to the other. The length of the gun is 37" and it has a Red, solid butt pad. The entire gun is blued (although the floor plate and trigger guard appear to be painted) except for the bolt (bolt lever is blued). The floor plate release is located on the inside front of the trigger guard.

The top of the receiver appears to have a machined-in scope mounting rail, fore and aft, upon which the scope mounts attach by way of lateral clamping screws. Also, the safety is located directly behind the bolt and is the two-position slide type.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the serial number is 78-5xxx4. I believe this places the gun's date of manufacture at around 1984.

Can anyone tell me, based on the above information, which version of the M77 mine is? Also, what is the gun worth without the scope? It is at least a 9 out of 10 in terms of its condition.

Thanks so much!
ElNumeroUno

Re: Ruger M77 .243 Mannlicher Question

Post by ElNumeroUno »

Based on the serial # prefix, it appears you have the M77, one of the earliest production International rifles. My guess on a selling price would range from $500-$700. The trigger guard and floor plate is anodized aluminum, which is why it has the appearance you describe.
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
Mongo44

Re: Ruger M77 .243 Mannlicher Question

Post by Mongo44 »

Thanks so much!