PILORGET SS-92

Includes the Six Series, Red Hawks, Super Redhawks, GP100s and SP101s.
T.A. Workman

PILORGET SS-92

Post by T.A. Workman »

Most Ruger D/A Collectors are well aware of the French designed “Pilorget Experimental Ejection System” from data in the Red Eagle News Exchange Reference. That True prototype/experimental model mentioned is owned by a forum member & D/A Collector who also just happens to own a 2nd Pilorget SS-92 revolver :shock: :mrgreen:

In the RENE November 2023 issue, Editor Chad Hiddleson wrote a stellar article entitled “The Mysterious “Pilorget” Sec-Series Revolvers". It contained the most detailed information written on these Holy Grail’s to date. His latest discovery was gun #4 a Ruger Speed-Six – model 1592 - #159-95813, N.I.B.
The gun also had a good bit of Provenance along with it also. Vogel's letter to Harry Sefried, Spec print copies some with hand notes, Pilorget hand sketch with precise dimensions on reaming & finishing the cylinder. (note in pictures below) Prototype Notice from Ruger Engineering Archives.

From Chad's article} A French inventor, Andre Pilorget filed for a US Patent for his new revolver ejection system on Feb.27,1975. He was granted his patent on Sept. 28, 1976.
Steve Vogel, WBR's son-in-law and head of Ruger's export business and worked with Pilorget on the project.

I read the article twice and then skimmed through the rest of the issue, when I was checking out the classifieds I about fell off my chair….there was the same gun #159-95813 for sale by the owner in NH.
Long story short, I called the owner and after a very nice chat I bought the gun from him. I was on cloud nine I never thought that I would I ever even see one let alone own one. :)
But the good luck was not to end there ;) . During our conversation the owner informed me he knew a
local man who owned another Pilorget who might be willing to sell ;) . I then contacted another D/A Collector and gave him the contact info and he managed to buy it making it the 5th known Pilorget. Both of these guns are a few numbers apart and both came out of Roddy’s Gun Shop and were with in 15 miles of the factory all this time.

There is a post over on the RF where 4 of the five known guns are pictured on page’s 4 & 6. :shock:
https://www.rugerforum.com/threads/rare ... 441/page-4

Pilorget Speed-Six SS-92 & P/W,

Note the chamber shoulder & reamer finish in the Pilorget cylinder compared to that of a regular SS-92 factory cylinder.

There are 5 known revolvers in 3 different pre-fix blocks 150-28267 / 153-04443 & 153-20715 & 159-95813 & 159-95XXX.
After Chad had shipped the revolver out to me, but before I had received it he sent me the following email-

Terry:
Well, here's something I missed since the Pilorget has been here as long as it has. Just realized the recoil shield isn't scalloped. Yes, later frames are known to have been used, but I think this is the latest without the scallop. Then I realized the hammer and trigger are both blued chrome moly! The only way I can explain that is these guns were assembled long before they ever got the serial number and rollmarks.
At first I thought with such a high serial number, and being known in a couple different runs, these maybe aren't prototypes at all... at the very least, this high #159- gun was perhaps a cleanup of the Pilorget cylinder assemblies. Now it appears these may have all been made at the very same time, except this late batch obviously completed later.
Chad

When the gun arrived I compared it to my factory Speed-Six SS-92 serial #157-51761, with a scalloped recoil shield & SS trigger and hammer . My Pilorget is serial #159-95813, with a non-scalloped recoil shield and Blue steel trigger and hammer with polished sides. This proves to me that Chads theory is spot on.

Top- Pilorget SS-92 with old features & a 159-95813 - Lower Factory Speed-Six SS-92 with new features.

Last edited by T.A. Workman on Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
flattop44

Re: PILORGET SS-92

Post by flattop44 »

Great score on a rare gun. Happy for you, great addition to your DA collection.
FT44
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

Awesome! Congratulations!
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Terry, I am green with envy, absolutely a fabulous gun to get to add to the collection.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
MinorLV

Post by MinorLV »

Congrats Terry…wonderful piece of Ruger history and fantastic find.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

That's awesome Terry!
Super rare and Very cool.
I had never heard of them until the RENE writeup.
Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
Jay
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Would drooling on them decrease the value? Beautiful stuff there!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

Thanks guys!
These are fascinating revolvers and a lot of data & info was lost when Steve Vogel passed early in life. He handled all the overseas sales ie; Bolivia, Thailand, India, Germany
and many more.
Adding some paper work pictures. ;)

Steve Vogel's letter to Harry Sefried in the engineering department

Pilorget's hand drawn sketch of cylinder chamber, with precise dimensions in metric to Vogel. Vogel's side notes to Sefried and initials.
The top - Pilorget to Vogel, "These are the dimensions of the chamber which was successful in ejection, our speed-six's dimensions are smaller".
Right hand side note from Vogel to Harry Sefried - These are Pilorget's chamber dimensions. Dimensions given are metric" Vogel's initials
At the bottom Pilorget notes - "Same surface finish will be equal as in .357"

French spec drawings

NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man