Questions about SA and MK. II issue

bruce

Questions about SA and MK. II issue

Post by bruce »

A little over a year ago, I found and bought a nice early Standard Auto. It came w/ one of the replacement magazines and red Eagle grips. Replaced the grips and stored the Eagles in a zip lock bag. Was able to find and buy some of the early type magazines at less than nose bleed prices. Function was not reliable but I lived with it.

This past year I blundered up on a very nice stainless steel Mk. II in a pawn shop. It came w/ one magazine. Deeply thankful to one of our board members who very kindly sent two more magazines. Have had good function with common bulk ammo. Have had some problems with extraction/ejection. This past week I've had the opportunity to shoot both pistols with the common bulk ammo I have on hand as well as CCI Mini-Mags. Had some failures to feed but more often failures to extract and/or eject. Oddly, had failures to fire w/ both pistols even using the CCI.

I am going to sit down tonight and thoroughly clean both pistols with particular attention to anything that might possibly affect extraction and ejection. Intend to then buy whatever local brands I can find and see what if any difference that makes with the pistols. May possibly be all that is needed. If so ... happy. Buy ammo and move on.

My real concern is that I may have to do a bit of parts replacement. If that is the case, what would be the correct order to follow? Springs? Extractor/Ejector? Firing Pin? Any other suggestions? Appreciate any insight that might be offered since this is the first and only time I've ever thought I needed to fix a Ruger .22 LR pistol. Sincerely. bruce.
contender

Re: Questions about SA and MK. II issue

Post by contender »

Quite often,, any issues with feeding are directly related to the magazines.

Extraction issues,, are often the result of the extractor lip being worn or chipped.
If the extractor appears good & having sharp edges,, then the spring may need attention.

Of course,, a wise gunsmith decades ago shared a piece of wisdom. He said a LOT of his "easy" income came from just having to properly clean a firearm.

Try that & see what happens first.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Thank you for the suggestions!

Did a very thorough cleaning of both pistols yesterday afternoon/evening.
Never knew there were so many little places where gunk could collect!
Judging from what I ended up finding, the gunk may very well have been
the problem with both pistols.

Did not get to the range. Fell last week and thought I'd broke ribs, etc.
Still having problems raising my right arm ... so if either pistol was bothered
with problems due to dirt, grease, etc., then that handled.
Today ... range is closed. So, I'll polish the holsters and wipe off the ammo. :-)
Hopefully things will be better next week. Sincerely. bruce.
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Bruce, hate to hear you broke some ribs, that is painful. Hope you get on the mend quickly.
FT44
contender

Post by contender »

Ouch!

Take it easy & mend as you should.

Then give us a range report once you get a chance to try them out.